1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Exclusive game reviews ethically troubling?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Games reviews are usually almost worthless in any case. I only trust independent user assessment and demos.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i usually wait until there are enough reviews on the web so that i can clean the high scores and the low scores and have a mid score.

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

semi agree, there are some good pubicans out there still, but i do tend to look at about 3 or more reviews about a game.

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Anyone who buys a game off the back off a review has more money than sense, especially when the scale is out of ten. Most people could argue anything over 7/10 would be 'worth buying'... so bar video reviews where you can see for yourself I dont think they sway me much.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I would agree that IGN's review could be a little biased, but then you look at all the other reviews for GTA IV and they all say the same thing - i.e. 95%+, so I think their integrity remains intact. :)

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Ive seen before where mainstream magazines have given out highly suspect review scores for exclusive reviews (*cough* PC ZONE *cough*). Whie i can appreciate the commercial value of an exclusive review, it does tend to create feelings of suspiscion about the impartiality of the publisher.

Saying that, I recall PCGAMER had the exclusive review of Hellgate London, and gave a very balanced review, and eventually awarded the game a 77%ish grade - about right for the game, so not all exclusive reviews are tainted in the same way.

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Back in the days of gaming on the Gamecube, no where in my town had games to rent, so most of my purchases were based entirely off reviews. When you're spending $130NZD on a game once every several months it's kinda important that the reviewers opinion hasn't been bought. But then with nintendo it was always safe to get the zelda, metroid, etc.
    From what I've heard about GTA IV, a 10/10 is reasonable, so the exlusivity/ethical thing isn't really relevant.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Simple, obey Bit-Tech on all fronts and ignore everyone else.

Following the God-Joe is the only true way to gaming redemption.

10. CardJoe

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

...and I am his disciple :D

I would make a comment about bowing down on your knees before The Mighty Joe, but I wouldn't want for it to be misconstrued :eeek:

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

This might be a hard one to explain to the politicians:

"no sir, the game the game that gives extra points for decapitating police officers with a chainsaw is not the problem. The problem is the exclusive review! it's unethical!"

I do agree with the main point of this though, these reveiw sites are rotten and biased.

13. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

[EDIT: What, no delete function?]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2008
  14. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

90% of the time that applies, but he was way off on the witcher. That is the single most dull game i've ever encountered. Yahtzee hit the nail on the head with that one

15. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Really, I enjoyed the Witcher quite a bit. This is why I find reviews worthless, its the opinion of one person, possibly one person with very different taste than your own, so take it for whats its worth, don't act like they forced you to buy the game by giving their opinion on it.

16. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

don't worry, i don't, i only bought it because i had a £20 voucher for GAME and a free afternoon, i wouldn't have gone out of my way to get it

17. Cavedweller

Cavedweller What's a Dremel?

There is only _ONE_ review site on the net i trust, and that is gamerevolution.
    They don't take crap from anybody, and even take their time to bring the occational insider slant blog.
    As a rarety they once in a while bring up a real article, like when they wrote about how violence and games are more and more in the media focus, even though youth violence has never been lower.

18. CardJoe

Having gone back and read The Witcher review again, I think it's pretty fair. It's a game for the hardcore, which I don't laud too highly or damn unforgivably. I had a good time with it myself, but recognised the game as average to bad in the eyes of many others unaccustomed to the style.

19. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

reviews can never be trusted as being an accurate impression of the game, there are games i thought were quite good but they've scored something like a 6 on gamespot.

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm really enjoying the witcher, but probably wouldn't be bothered with it had it scored lower. I do think it's a good game post prologue, but it's definitely aimed at a specific audience. Would probably give it about an 8/10 with the patch on it.
    Over rated for me would be audiosurf, I can not get into games like that, but that doesn't mean I think the score Joe gave it was wrong.

Tags: Add Tags