1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Facebook 'unintentionally' captures users' email contacts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Apr 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

"approach for verifying a user's third-party email address in which the user is asked for the password to the email account"

I had to read that sentence a half-dozen times to figure out what it was saying, because I was so sure it couldn't possibly mean what it says that my brain was discarding it on a subconscious level.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Crazy, innit? And it'd been doing it for three years or more.

Mind you, it's not helped by the new "Open Banking" standard we have in the UK, which helpfully lets you have all your bank accounts in a single place... providing you give that single place the username and password to each account...

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Wrong way around: currently, the only way to 'integrate' multiple accounts is to use a screen-scraping service (what you describe with handing over username & password to a third party) or if a provider offers their own proprietary API. OBS is the replacement, switching over to a standard API with pushed tokenisation rather than needing to share full-access login details.

5. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I... but that's... aaaaagh!

Tags: Add Tags