1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First 320GB 2.5" HDD on the way

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

320GB is just enough to store my media collection, but the trouble is the drives with the highest current available capacity always carry a price premium. 250Gb drives seem to be going for ~£110, so these are going to be a lot more :(

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I guess you have to question whether you need 320GB of media to take with you on the move, however! Can't you keep the main stash on a server and copy over what you are likely to want? Or keep a lossless version / direct rip on the server and transcode for your lappie?

4. identikit

identikit Minimodder

To photographers more space is always a godsend. Not having to lug around an external to shoots means one less device and two fewer cables.

5. victorres2

victorres2 DONT LOOK FOR THE EASY WAY OUT

ill stick to burnin any kind of video media to a dvd-r since its cheaper to me, and it keeps my hard drive clean and empty. for some reason having 10gigs of video files, slows my hard drive down, but 25gigs of audio files doesn't.

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

320Gb ... thats almost the size of my music collection! (I jest it's more like 100GB but still seems like a very small amount of storage to me).

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Would be a nice upgrade for PS3 owners. I would consider one if I got a PS3 to store music and video etc

8. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

Exactly! :clap:

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Put a load of 32GB microSD cards in a RAID 5 array :p

10. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

i think these would be perfect for a raid5 file server. low power dont need much/any cooling and a lot of storage for there size. *wates and hopes for someone to do it*

11. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

200GB for 7200RPM? Why can't they up the capacity more on the fast drives!

12. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

Alienware will love to get their hands on these and tack on another 1k to their laptops

its cool to see that they offer 32GB Serial ATA Solid State Drive but it has a price tag of adding $500 to the ttal and is not very practical for a laptop certinly a gaming one.

13. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I'd assume because reading microscopic bits of magnetic information off a platter the size of a flattened beer cap* becomes a fair bit harder the faster you spin it.

Personally I don't like the idea of that much data sitting on a laptop given how easily they're lost/stolen and also how often laptop drives fail. As a sysadmin for a SME, I spend a fair number of hours trying to coax laptop drives to give up one last gasp so I can recover those crucial documents the user never thought to save on the network (I've done 2 this past couple of weeks). It's bad enough with a 20-40Gb drive...

*I was up till 3am - I guess beer is still on the forefront of my (semi)conciousness.

Tags: Add Tags