1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News First US rehab centre for 'net addicts opened

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have a much cheaper solution. Go to your local DIY store and get a pair of wire cutters. Problem solved.

3. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I hope this is covered in the health care reform!

oh, snap!

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

9000 bucks? That's a 2 year course of Japanese, in Japan. I'd rather keep my addiction. I like my addiction. It's an addicting addiction. No way am I letting it go. MINE!

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's not so much the Internet as that feeling of always knowing everything that people get addicted too. The feeling that something big might have happened, and you don't know about it. I bet if you were banned from using the Internet, but got a team of minions to constantly tell you all the interesting things that have cropped up on the web, you wouldn't feel any of the "cut-off" feelings you'd usually get.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Last edited: 25 Aug 2009
  7. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I'd turn my PC off in a flash if there was anything else worth doing.

8. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Agreed with above it's not the internet as such which acts as the addiction. As shown before its when people become addicted to things that require the internet. Such as WoW, purely as an example.

9. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

i cant let go
    i need my daily fix :p

10. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I admit it.....Bit-Tech.......you did this tooooo meeeeeeeeee......

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Only if they had good broadband wi-fi at the place... oh wait.

Let me answer it this way, in the words of a fellow MMO Gamer
    "There is no RL, just extended AFK!"

This reminds me of the moronic idea that you could be addicted to sex. I am addicted to air and water too!

Yours in can not be Addicted to the Essentials of Life Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

12. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i can stop whenever i want.

to prove you, i'll stop now. after i check the forum
    and my comics
    and blogs and sites and ...
    I AM NOT ADDICTED

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I think this is good and bad, well the good there are people and well I will pick one area.. WoW that dont sleep or even eat, hell I think any game that someone has died while playing and in WoW case I think they are up to at least 6 needs to be looked at and those people nearing the brink need to get help before they to die but here is the flip side do we really want those type of people to live anyways? and possible spreading their gene pool around maybe WoW is doing some good by filtering out certain people as now they dont have time to socialize, have sex and spread their genes thus reducing the total amount of those people lol think of it as indirect population control which this planet desperately needs lol

14. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Addiction to the internet can be a serious problem if it interferes with your personal life... That being said, paying someone that much money to "be healed" is ridiculous. If someone is willing to spend that kind of money to "be healed" then clearly they have other mental issues and should be locked away from society indefinitely.

For the rest of us dirt poor addicts, time to go kill some demons!

15. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

everything is addictive. Who decides what activities are healthy and at what levels? I have lots of different hobbies from cars and net surfing to modding and reading, anime and high end home theater. I am the type who becomes addicted to a particular hobby for six months and then gets tired and immediately latches onto another time-consuming hobby. I have freinds that I only see occasionally because they are always involved in various kinds of gaming, from WoW to D&D-type stuff to card games. Sure, I'd love to see some of them more, but who am I to tell them they spend too much time doing x activity. If that's what they like, why would I tell them to stop.

I suppose this may be more for people who want to quit or cut down on 'net time. I don't really understand why though. Are they doing it only because someone else tells them they shouldn't spend so much time online? You gotta find something to do for the 75 years or so your here. Why is surfing any less than any other hobby?

16. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I would attend, if they offered it online, and for $15.00 a month.

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

The nature of humans is to explore, reveal the unknown and expand knowledge. The Internet has everything to do these things. No wonder people get addicted as it's an easy alternative to the real world.

Admit it, you would surf Google for random pointless things you don't need to know about?!

18. Jozo

Jozo This is bit-tech

I'd rather heal my addiction from personal life as it interferes with my internet browsing.

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think we label things that we really enjoy as addictions as a sort of counter weight to the guilt some feel in enjoying things soooo much.
    A Sociology prof of mine scoffed at the idea that one can be addicted to sex, and I am sure he would take a similar tack on this absurdity.

S*D

20. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

There is a difference between addicition and problem.

Being really into something is one thing but if you still eat, sleep, make it to your job and are a "functioning" member of society then who cares? If you like to go home and game for awhile instead of watching TV or going to the movies or hanging out with friends at the mall... really... what is the difference? You're still participating in an activity you enjoy.

Now if you're late or missing work, ignoring family, or otherwise skipping essentials as a result of your addictiion, then it has become a problem and needs to be addressed.

The difficulty lies in the individual recognizing when they have crossed that line.

Tags: Add Tags