1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Fractal Design R2 PSU placement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cupboard, 29 May 2010.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I spent the morning moving my computer into my new (second hand) case and as you may know, the PSU lives at the bottom. Having been running for a bit, the main compartment is reasonably cool and neither the case fans nor the CPU fan have spun up much. All in all they are nice and quiet.

On the other hand, the fan in my PSU is going like the clappers and is a whole lot noisier than when it was in my old case. I have put it so that the fan is on the bottom where there is a grill and a filter for it to allow it to get air.

Based on the fact that it seems to be getting too hot, do you have any suggestions? If I turn it upside down I will have to re-wire the whole case as the wires won't be long enough to get in to the cable routing :(. I am not keen on removing the dust filter because it is on carpet and will just fill with dust. This seems to leave just propping the case up a bit which doesn't seem like a great solution but it will be what I do for the time being.

Any other ideas? Have I done anything wrong?

edit: propping it up has helped massively. It very quickly quietened down and is now a lot better.

Last edited: 29 May 2010
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What PSU is it?

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The problem with cases with bottom fans is often lack of ground clearance and restricted air flow, on carpet things just get worse. Try putting it on a board and see if that helps.

4. Cupboard

It is a Hiper Type M (non modular) 580W.

I have put the case on four things to allow it to breathe a bit more and am considering removing the filter. We'll see how much dust it picks up after a while.

bulldogjeff: You have got the problem. The case has legs but they sink in too far.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Snow shoes?......sorry thats the best I've got at the moment.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I had a similar problem with the case feet sinking into the carpet - I simply got a pre-cut varnished piece of wood (about 25mm thick) and sit the case on top of it, sorted the problem.

To get the case out from under the desk I just slide the wood across the carpet.

Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest :D:D:D

7. Cupboard

You are making me laugh, I love the snows shoes idea! :)

I had some castors that are meant to go under furniture which is it currently sitting on. I guess I will have to live with it, though having the wheels could be quite handy!

Thank you for all the advice.