1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Free Games I Like: Chase Goose

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No, but if you're working on something new then we'd love to hear from you/convince you to contribute a developer blog, like Mode 7's.

2. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Now we know where to direct our hate mail!!!
    If only my wrist wasnt to sore to type it out

3. Hideous

Hideous What's a Dremel?

... I'm actually working on a sequel to this here game.

You guys will hate me even more.

4. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Oh, it's on now.

5. StoneyMahoney

Okay, confirmed now that if you hold Shift and Left Arrow on an Apple keyboard, letter I doesn't register. And it's getting on my nerves now xD

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I'll send you the medical bill. :worried:

7. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

I hate this game :( I cant seem to use my right hand on the arrow keys at all due to being left handed, but then if I'm using my left hand on the arrows and my right hand for key presses i cant hold shift at the same time. Curse you!

8. StoneyMahoney

Nazgul, did you use a keyboard macro? If you're going to cheat, at least be creative about it like this guy was, this is bit-tech after all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=memgE1gE6A4

Agent_M! Help is at hand! (boom-boom tish groan) While trying to find other keyboard conflicts that might mess up my game, I found a bit of a low-tech cheat myself inspired by my hair-band-around-the-top-fret Dragonforce intro practice cheat. I'm going to gamer hell for this, I just know it:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=916&pictureid=12285

EDIT - On second thoughts, hidden behind a link to avoid spoilers

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  9. Nazgul

Nazgul What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I did use a keyboard macro (well two actually, made one for shift as well), but it's not like those were ruled illegal before. And like I said before, I didn't post the screenshot with the intention of winning Dirt 2, but rather with the intention of exposing a flaw.

Like I mentioned earlier, nothing changes after the first 10km so once you can reach that point it is impossible to prove that someone didn't get a better score than you while using only the most basic keyboard and his own two hands without sitting next to them or otherwise watching the attempt in real time. Actually, not much changes at all after the point you are needed to start holding shift, but it took about that long to see all the questions.

You don't have to time the jumping, just start mashing the correct button as soon as you locate it and you'll jump at the correct moment.

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

372m. Not playing again. Hmph!

11. StoneyMahoney

Hehe, on one shoulder the angel is telling me "cheating is bad! scold him!" and on the other shoulder is the devil saying "you can cheat better than him, get scripting!" ;)

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ow.

Joe, you git.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

This competition is now closed

I've disqualified Nazgul for cheating (hey, you admitted using Macros)
    StoneyMahoney was the technical winner, posting videos of himself actually playing. However, he's negotiated a different prize based on the fact that he doesn't want DiRT 2.

So...the winner is KAYDAT!

Check your PM, KayDat. I've sent you the Steam Code for DiRT 2.

14. Nazgul

Nazgul What's a Dremel?

I know that I might make too long posts, but please do try to read the entire post, not just the first sentence.

Basically, for you cheating equals using the software side of the keyboard? While using the mechanically better suited hardware for button smashing compared to average keyboard is just fine? (StoneyMahoneys apple keyboard).

And for the third time - I didn't do it for Dirt 2 and at the point I had already decided on entering I didn't even consider that alternative prizes might be an option. But to say that I cheated when I simply used the features of my keyboard while not breaking any rules stated in either the original post or in the posts up to my own first is a bit insulting.

And it's not like you could've forgotten about the possibility of someone using G15. After all, you have used it yourself for some time and macros are one of its main features.

Don't take it the wrong way though - I've enjoyed reading bit-tech and your articles for over a year even though I haven't posted before. And I also like to see competitions that are open to the rest of the world, I simply don't like when the rules suddenly change (requiring StoneyMahoney to post a video was another rule change, he shouldn't have needed to post it).

15. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

Yes and no to Nazgul.

You have fiduciary obligations not to cheat, i think. Those obligations (as well as the definition of cheat) dont need to be outlined for the majority of people to feel that what you did was "unfair." In other words, just because there wasnt a full contract with explicit clauses binding you not to cheat doesnt mean that you did NOT cheat.

Also, i think your concepts of "rule changes" is a bit childish. I very honestly dont mean to troll, so dont take it like that, but if we were operating under some sort of official guidelines then you may have a point. The fact that this is a very private, very closed ordeal means that the rules are whatever Joe says they are, and thats it. You essentially tried to throw the book at him by saying that he acted in an unprofessional way, but this is as casual of a contest as can be on the internets.

For the record though, this is a bad thing to use as a contest since it is so easily cheatable.

My 2 cents : )

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Circumvention of a difficulty mechanism?

Cheating. Regardless of the means used to do so.

17. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Hehe, just seen this, and I think being a pianist helps quite a lot: I am too, and am instantly better than my friends. Mwhaha.

Tags: Add Tags