1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Free MMORPG Round Up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 20 Sep 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

There's a common perception that free online MMOs are garbage. Taking on the development of game that might not net you enough cash to buy a tuna sandwich is something few companies are keen on doing. We find out if there's any that are worth investing time in.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/09/20/free-mmorpg-round-up/1

And no, we're not going to start blazing Evony ads all over the site... :D

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

3. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

You missed a good one. Dungeons and Dragons Online is kind of free now too.

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Graphically wise, Cabal is a very good free MMORPG. Apparently its quite good too as it unhooked my brother from his Last Chaos addiction.

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

what about archlord?

6. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

All the free MMORPGs I've played mostly consist of cookie-cutter grind-o-thon quests designed to fill what is otherwise a very thinly spread amount of content. Not surprisingly, varied content requires time and effort which most free MMORPG developers don't have in abundance. Fair enough.

What is unforgivable however is some commercial MMORPGs use the same trick, low level grind to bolster their content. Again, tight schedules and limited budgets contribute to this, but considering the financial aspect of these projects, you pay to play through tedious repetitive nonsense, potentially to be very disappointed with the high-level content.

For that reason, WoW never did it for me and a few months in I gave it the heave-ho. My major MMORPG fix is usually sated by the sorely underrated Guild Wars. Why WoW has such mass market appeal is nothing I think I'll ever understand. Clearly I'm not as massive a geek as I thought!

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

hehe
    :D

Thanks for the look into Evony, the ads were starting to annoy me enough that I was considering seeing what the fuss was about. Thankfully I didn't!
    Last Chaos seems rather better to me and might be worth a twirl when I get a bit of spare time once I am back at uni.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2009
  8. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Id recommend having a look at Tribal Wars if you fancy a good free MMO. Its entirely pvp based and can be pleasingly ruthless.

You need to be online for around 30 mins a day, once past 200k points and with a tribe thats competing on a 'world' (think: server) level thats more likely to be 60 - 90 mins per day.

Its possible to play the game in a skillful way, and as such possible to avoid being farmed by the more established players as you get going.

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Isn't gunbound still free?

10. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

hm, and recently i discovered runes of magic, which, while being another wow clone, isn't really half bad, quite tolerable actually. Of course, it has some issues like:
    - a bit confusing crafting system
    - game looks the same as wow but performs on the same hardware considerably worse

haven't discovered much else due to only having played it until lvl 14. However, you should take a look at it and give your opinion, along with Perfect world international(haven't tried it myself, but kind of interested) and cabal. :)

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I am playing runes of magic too and i like it very much. It's clearly aimed at party fighting. Should be on that list too :D
    I think the crafting system is a bit confusing at first but once you get the hang of it, that become one of the major fun in the game ;)

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

No Mention of the now freeplay version of D&D:Online?

13. Dracyr

Dracyr What's a Dremel?

Also, silkroad its kinda awesome while still being free.

14. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

You forgot to include Anarchy Online :p
    While not fully free (you have to pay for the expansions) Is still a damned amazing free game.

15. bowman

bowman Minimodder

My girlfriend poked me into trying this game;

http://flyff.gpotato.com/

Let me save you the bother - it's feces. On the other hand it reminded me of world of warcraft so I suppose the production values are higher than the browser based ones. If you like clicking on a monster and watching your character do your combat for you I suppose it is exciting.

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm currently enjoying Requiem: Bloodymare, which while it has a dimwitted name has quite good performance, good questing, and so far coherent storylines. It also goes to 1920x1200.

17. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I second Cabal. Fun, with gorgeous visuals (for a MMORPG) but tends to be a tad repetitious, especially when you realise that the quest keeps asking you to kill the same old **** over and over again.

Or pits you against a supremely strong enemy you probably can only take on 5 levels later.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I never click on adverts in websites, but the Evony ads made it impossible for me to resist. You have to admire the ballsiness of the advertiser for just saying f*ck it, and pasting tits all over the place. Especially as the game has nothing sexual about it at all. Just goes to show, sex sells.

I agree with Cupboard the ads are getting annoying now, as they do seem to be everywhere.

19. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

*poke* entropia Universe *poke*

EU just got upgrade to the Cry2 engine too now so it looks VERY nice! also it is a free MMO with a real-cash economy

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I have been playing Evony on and off for the last few months and I have to say it gets very repetitive and boring, I just deleted my account lol.

Really the only free MMO I will play is Silk Road (when you can actually log on) and Shaiya. Drift City is also great fun, revolves around street racing. Yeah it's not an MMORPG but great fun.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2009
Tags: Add Tags