1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics G meter help.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by hcker2000, 4 Aug 2005.

1. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

You can do it easily without a PIC by utilizing the Analog One.

For an analog outlook, attach the output to a mV meter. Calibration is already set at 800mV for 1.5g, 600mV for 2g, 400mV for 4g, and so on.

For a digital outlook, construct one out of a some simple Comparators (your 741 Op-Amps will do the trick) and the output can either be in bars or 7-segment displays by wiring up the logic.

You may need to amplify the signal (Op-Amp) if you want more of a voltage to deal with since mV may be a hassle depending on your choice and the resolution of what you can tune.

Take your PICk of the many ones. :p

2. hcker2000

hcker2000 What's a Dremel?

Could you post some layouts of the various analog methods? Also how many Mv is the sensor at when it reads 0g? I would guess 0V but thats just a stab in the dark.

3. iamnafets

iamnafets What's a Dremel?

Just a shot in the dark, but wouldn't any lateral force affect the needle in an analog meter?

4. hcker2000

Are u talking about interfacing the analog meter directly to the sensor? If so I dont think you would be geting enough mV out of the sensor to do any thing. You could probably use a transistor to boost that power higher but I'm not sure on that.

5. hcker2000

Just ordered the sensor ( MMA7260Q ) and every thing else I didn't have for the project.

I'm still trying to decide on how to display the info. I have a few options. Led's, numaric display, lcd/vfd, or just have a serial connector on it to interface with the pc.

I may do more than one display type as well. Maby led's + serial interface.

6. davew

davew What's a Dremel?

Hello. Where did you get this 3-axis SPI accelerometer from? I'm looking at using an MMA7260Q for a datalogging circuit, but that could be a better alternative.

7. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

According to its datasheet, it is 1.65v.

It would most likely depend on how you orientate the meter in relation to the direction of the force. Maybe face up, like your dashboard meters for speed, fuel, and so on.

741 generic op-amp would do fine.

8. hcker2000

Well I guess sparkfun is out of the sensors right now so lets hope they get them soom as I want to get going on this :)

9. hcker2000

Wont have any in tell mid september. Great time to find some place else that has them.