1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Germans launch Second Life newspaper

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 8 Nov 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Am i the only person who doesn't understand what the point in second life is?

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

You not as i was going to ask the same question. I dont get it. I downloaded it and checked it out and just did not get it. I dont get why people pay for stuff?? is this where EA got its idea for Micropayments?????

Its not that its even coded well. I played 10 mins and found it so boring and buggy and stupid.

I tell you the world is crazy.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I think it's for people unable to communicate in real life. You know those guys, (unfortunately) often Computer Science students, who will never ever be able to talk to a human being (especially the ones without a penis) without stuttering, blushing or saying really stupid things like 'lol' or 'rofl' which you just don't use except from chatting over ICQ, MSN or a game. They might be able to get a virtual relationship to someone... poor world we're living in.

Before you ask, yep I study CS and no, I don't have a 'Second Life'.

5. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

oddly enough, i said the same thing about WoW.....

i guess its horses for courses.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's alright, I don't get WoW either really.

I generally don't understand games when they become a replacement for Real activities.

7. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

what the hell is it?
    why would people pay for something that looks equally as crap as the sims? theres some strange people in this world.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

9. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

Well 1mil in 6bil people is not a lot is it ? I dont get the point of the Sim either, it's a big Sim ?

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i downloaded this a few years ago on my mac... it made no sense, i just wandered about there doesnt seem a "game" as such.

i can never see the point in computer games that arent games at all, thats why i dont like any rpg's with all the waling about and silly hairstyles.. and orcs wtf are they about [/tangent]

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Its supposed to be some kind of chat room thing but it seems over complicated and I just find it so much easier to just use MSN and yahoo and be done with it.

I see no point in making it 3D and introducing Avators and wandering around a crap world looking for some other bored sad geek to chat too. The buying and selling of virtual items makes no sence to me and just how do people make real money??? I believe its just one big scam. Even the BBC has a world or island or something so I seen on TV.

Instead I just load up msn and chat to my real friends and use TS if we are lazy typing.

People realy do pay £600 for a 16 acres island???? with £100 a month maintenance fees??? man I refuse to buy WOW because of its monthly fee, and its peanuts compared to island hire in Second Life so I can chat to other freaks who have money to waste.

If yahoo or MSM tryed to charge me monthly fees for anything id laugh and say goodbye.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2006
  12. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I dont see the point in a 'game' that has no objectives, no story, no characters, and no actual gameplay to speak of.

Is there actually anything to do at all in this game? Or do you just wander aimlessly and talk to people who are similarly bereft of anything better to do with their worthless lives.

Edit: OK I just created an account and played it a little. I didn't quite think it would be so bad. The graphics are terrible but it still runs like a pig (on a 7800GS) no doubt because of the ill designed crap that people create. Everything takes an age to load; for the first five minutes in any new area you dont even see any textures, and all the objects appear one by one, very very slowly. The whole thing seemed extremely awkward and boring.

Plus the two most popular locations are a brothel and a gambling place. So its basically like the web, except more difficult to use.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2006
  13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Okay from these responses, I think that Bit should not have an office in second life, we all seem to hate or find no point in it.

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I can't say as I've ever tried it, but having formerly been a regular in a Yahell chat room, I understand the appeal. First off, for a lot of people, real life sucks, and living a virtual life is much better. Another reason it's so opoular with some people is that it is their only link with the outside world. In the chatroom I used to live in there were a number of regulars who were either stay-at-home moms who couldn't leave the house all day because they had to watch the rugrats or else people who lived in small or remote towns and for whom it was a three hour drive to meet someone new.

You can feel superior all you want because you deal with the real world, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge people something that makes them happy without hurting anyone else.

15. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Agreed... what's the point?

I don't have enough time in real life to try and develop a second parallel life... and you're going to charge me for it too? I look at this "business" following the AOL path. Rapid growth, lots of press, then once you get past a certain point the numbers start going the other way.

Granted I have not tried it however based on the descriptions and what I've heard from those who have used it I don't see anything that would interest me in it.

Tags: Add Tags