1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Getting started on a car mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by modgodtanvir, 29 May 2007.

1. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Hello there fellow Modders!!

I am sure in recent years you have seen a number of very good case mods based on cars, made with scale body shells from models, such as the:

GTRPC : http://members.iinet.net.au/~winndyne/
    and the HTPC: http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/htpc/

and, being the creative and resourceful individuals you are, like me, you may have had some half-formed thoughts on the infinite possibilities in which such a mod can be made truly amazing. Things like ideas for mounting the motherboard, or power supply, or perhaps an idea for the CD tray.

Now it just so happens that in a couple of weeks time, I will have a good couple of months spare time, and I hope to have a go at one of these mods. The general idea is that, with a 1/5th scale chassis, I could manage to mount a full ATX mobo sideways, so there would be plenty of room without worrying about functionality. I was hoping, in the meantime, if any on you had any ideas, that you would like to share them with me, for which I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you,

MODGODTANVIR

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome :)

1/5th scale chassis? What do you mean exactly?

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

1/5 Bindi is, for example, a 6 foot wide car is in 1/5 scale ~14 inches wide.

4. modgodtanvir

5. fungry

fungry What's a Dremel?

ahhh now i get it. haha. keep us all updated at the Project log... all here ^^.

the coming months and we should be seeing an increase in mods lol. Summer break is just great imo.

6. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

Really cool if you can pull it of, and make it look like an RC car.

If u want to know more just about the scale models and maby design ideas look at http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/.
    This is THE best and biggest manufacturer for 1/5 and 1/6 petrol RC racers. They have many things u might need for a cool look, like the bodies and wheels. Just remember a new body and wheels will probably cost u around $100 USD, for some cheep stuff. He, and used stuff are probably so beat up u can't make them look any good.

Edit: Please make it look faster then the real ones. Shouldn't be hard since they are really not that fast.

7. modgodtanvir

Haha, thanx a lot Oooo, the FG stuff looks great. And don't worry, when I'm done with it, it'll look like its got the real thing pwned. By the way, does anyone have any ideas for a CD drive? Some that I have seen have the disc tray coming straight out the front of the car, and the BMW one I mentioned before has the drive on springs underneath the bonnet. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

8. modgodtanvir

And also, does anyone have any links that I might find useful....

Much appreciated

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

10. modgodtanvir

aww ace. thanks gordy.

11. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

No problems, there are lots of ways you can improve on the design I used and its 1/10 scale, but I hope it helps. :)

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Seems obvious now. I kept thinking something like GOO's building of his own car.

13. modgodtanvir

Well here we are...

Well here we are ladles and jelly spoons

I've bought a scale model of a BMW M3. Its 1/8 scale, so it'll be a tight fit, I might need a slimline DVD-RW and maybe even a mATX mobo, but we'll worry about that later.

[​IMG]

This is a slightly cheap RC car, but the advantage is that I have the wiring and LEDs for headlights and taillights :clap: and even motors and servos for any wacky motorised mechanisms I may cook up in the future :D

Anyway, in the middle of my GCSEs now, wish me luck, and I'll be sure to keep you posted in a worklog when I finally get started.

14. modgodtanvir