1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment GF1 vs G5

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by phinix, 12 Jun 2013.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I have a GF-1 and it served me well. I use it only with 20mm 1.7.
    Don't have any other lens.
    I do family photos, specially on trips etc. Other than that, I do photos of my modding projects:D

Now G5 has a nice promotion - they add 45-150 lens for free.
    I was going to buy this lens, but now i may just sell mine GF1 and get new body.
    It has few new stuff in it, so thought it would be nice to upgrade.

What do you guys think? Anyone tried this G5? Is it worth over GF1?

2. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G5-vs-Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-GF1

I have just bought a g3 which i am very impressed with, theres not much point in me reviewing it for you as i dont have the experience but it was reccomended by my friend who has worked in an independant camera shop for the last ten years and is a semi pro photographer.

The g5 is the updated version which is good but out of my price range. The g5 has way more features ie viewfinder, swivel touch screen etc which are great and higher res, faster shooting etc. Only downside i can see from the gf1 would be the larger size.

Dont know what youve seen the g5 with two lenses priced at, buyacamera have the g3 twin lens for £400.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

4. iajo

iajo What's a Dremel?

400 too. Seems like a cracking deal.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

yep.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I read different reviews of G5 and looks like a decent camera, also a good upgrade to GF1.
    Has few good advantages over GF1:

This lcd looks good, can be flipped etc which is useful.

Viewfinder - I used to not having one in past 3 years with GF1 but I can see myself start using one again, so can be useful too in some moments.

Higher res always welcome.

All those filters and effects - I used those on GF1 rarely, but if these will be better I may use them.

HDR sounds good too. I know it won't be as good as software can do these days, but it's nice to see there is an option on the fly. I had it in Sony A300 in the past, but wasn't over

What else... 6fps - that is something I wished I had in GF1 - its 3fps wasn't enough in some cases, when was shooting photos of my daughter running around:) So 6fps should give nice advantage.

Image quality should be better, especially jpg - I read its better than older cameras.

Grip - GF1 is a bit fiddly to hold, never dropped it or anything but I can imagine how bigger grip could be useful.