1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Gigabit Ethernet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seebul, 27 Jan 2011.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

Hi there, I've got an Apple airport (gigabit ethernet) with a cable running from it into another room to a netgear gigabit switch, there are pc's connected to both ends. Now I was just wondering what realistic speeds you get from gigabit? I was transferring some films this morning and was getting about 41Mbps which doesn't seem that great for gigabit? or is it that fairly standard?

Thanks in advance.

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Probably depends on the computers at either end - I can easily get 65MB/sec from my server (and that's before I put the RAID card in!).

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

What were you transferring? Was it a few large files or many small ones? With smaller files the speed won't be sky high as there's all sorts of acknowledgement packets being transferred along with all the data. With large files you'll be limited to speed of the hard drives or their controller at each end.

4. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

With big files from my desktop to my NAS that's about the max I get too, from my oldest hard drive. But I get MB (megabyte) not Mb (megabit).

5. seebul

seebul Minimodder

thanks for the replies guys, the files were all films about 3 GB each and there were about ten of them. So its more the speed of your hard drives than the network then?

6. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

As far is I've been able to tell. Even when using one of my newer hard drives I get anywhere between 35-65MB/s but it still averages around 40.