1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GOG.com branches out into DRM-free films

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

great idea and one that is sorely needed as the film and music industry continue to live in the past. people can easily get a hold of films/music etc DRM free anyway so they really need to get with the times and stop forcing customer in to a model that suit the industry

3. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

@adam_bagpuss - Yes, you can only hope that DRM-free movies take off, and one of the big companies signs up.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm not disputing this or anything, as I nearly always wait for prices to drop before buying stuff, but it got me thinking, it's odd that we expect prices to drop as the item gets older. Certain things I can kind of understand, games for instance, as they will become more outdated etc, but music, that doesn't really lose anything based on it's age, and I suppose neither do movies really.

I'm quite happy with the average costs of albums now on most sites, between £5 and 7.99, I'm happy to pay that, especially now that we have Spotify, so I can listen to free to make sure I like it, then get the CD/Download knowing I'm going to enjoy it and get my moneys worth.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

DRM is not a relivent form of defence agaist illegal downloaders. All Albums and Films are cracked the moment they are launched even before in some cases. They need to fight the battle in prices. Not charge crazy money for an Album with 10 tracks on it.

Asda and Tesco and Amazon in the uk at least are heading the correct way and the prices on albums have reduced in recent years. HMV are showing why they are nearly bankrupt yep it has a good selection but the prices are nuts. £15 + for some Albums is borderline insane.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Comparing Euro to £ will never end well. Most Albums cost below £10 here and if your just buying DVD sub £10 is normal price for even the latest blockbuster. Even Blue ray is sub £15.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Amazon most of the time. I don't buy much stuff that's brand new recently released though. A quick look on the latest releases page though still shows most CDs at between £7.99 and £10, and now you get the digital version too.

Films usually are more, but they do seem to come down pretty quick. Most of the Blu rays on amazon in the recent releases are £12.99 at the moment.