1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google: Cloud data location isn't important

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I don't see why the location would matter.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

frankly i wouldnt want my data held in Libya or pakistan / afganistan

but realistically its likely to be held in about 5 places so i dont suppose it matters

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I think you're safe...

5. Xir

Xir Modder

less than two percent, great rethoric.

If it'd be less than one percent, he'd have said that. But he didn't.
    So between one and two percent of google employees have entered their top-secret data centeres.
    Google has ~26000 employees, so between 260-520 employees have physical access to....:D

Not as little as you thought, ey?

6. atlas

atlas What's a Dremel?

I don't see how the location matters. In fact the only time it does is when there are laws (specific to countries) at play that effect your data.

7. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

"so between 260-520 employees have physical access to..."

Well, thats over many many data centers and they will have had to have certain clearances to ensure that they are suitable to even be in the room that contains that data, I doubt very many google employees have ever seen the real data ;)

& I saw in one of their videos (lol) that they use fragmentation and encryption, so even if they saw the data I doubt they would know what it means :p

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Considering they have few hundred thousand servers (wiki page says 200-450k servers), even 500 employees is rather low number. Just think of it, 1000 servers per person, doesn't look that low as you thought, right ?

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

^ , I like cloud computing, but I always tell paranoid friends that if you are really that scared about your uber duper super private data, just get off the cloud,lol

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

My guess is it will be in China.

11. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

The fact is, storing information in a "secure" cloud is far safer, as finding your piece of data amongst the TB's is nigh on impossible.

People would have more chance stealing data directly from your computer, than A finding it and B extracting it from a cloud network as large as Googles.

12. faugusztin

But you know Autti, Google is evil, Google will steal your trade secrets, Google will steal your love letters, Google will steal your pants if you don't watch :worried:. That is pretty much the logic of cloud-haters.

My biggest issue with clouds is actually the example of what happened to Amazon Cloud a month ago, aka "whoops, we lost some data" ( http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-lost-data-2011-4 ).

13. blackcell1

blackcell1 What's a Dremel?

but now they've told us that its not important... i would like to know now

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My concern with Google, not so much with clouds, is the way they seem to love stockpiling as much personal information as possible. Call me paranoid but a lot of their services are excellent at sucking up new little bits of information, the most troubling one to me was being prompted to give up a cell phone number for email account recovery. I don't think they have some great evil plot or anything, just that it's not the best practice to let your information out when you don't need to. To be honest I'd feel quite safe leaving things with Google because I know they'd keep their little paws wrapped tight around it. :lol:

15. faugusztin

Guess what do you need to enter when you register for Apple ID ? Yes, phone number :). And full address.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Haven't got an Apple ID either!

I'm not a fan of giving away phone numbers or addresses. For things related to billing that isn't always possible but certainly no cell phone number (a personal number, not even a home phone!) for an email account. Additionally I've declined multiple times and it keeps on prompting me, it gets a little suspicious after awhile.

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

It matters in terms of legal jurisdiction. For the vast majority of private individuals and small businesses it's probably entirely irrelevant, in terms of certain businesses, I suspect it matters an awful lot.

I also agree with Sloth, in that I simply don't agree on principal to handing over great swathes of private data to companies - not when the data they are asking for is irrelevant to my relationship with them. It's not that I particularly expect them to do anything nefarious with it - I expect them in most cases to do nothing with it at all - it's just that I don't see it as any of their business in having it if they don't explicitly need it.

Some might see that as a paranoid stance, and maybe it is, but given the choice of paranoia or complacency, I'll err on the side of paranoia thanks. Just because you haven't figured out how someone can purposely screw you over / accidentally and incompetently expose you to risk, it doesn't mean that they won't do it.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2011
  18. John_T

John_T Minimodder

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

(sorry for the multiple posts, seem to have had a brain-melting moment...)

20. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Not as secure as a system that's not connected to the internet.

Tags: Add Tags