1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU idle 54C

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 4 Jul 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I recently upgraded my case, fans and went with an AIO water cooler.
    The case looks much better and runs much cooler but not the GPU.
    I tried playing Subnautica and the computer locked up after 5 minutes instead of 1 minute.
    I just turned off the computer to replace the 3-pin fan splitter for a 4-pin fan splitter and noticed that the GPU backplate was hot to the touch.

Open Hardware Monitor shows that the GPU is 56C as I'm writing this.
    I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes but didn't find anything.

[​IMG]

2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

It probably is...majority of recent cards the fans don't kick in til they hit 60 degrees unless set otherwise.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

That is crazy and I can't imagine that it is good for a card. I checked and the fans are GPU and all case fans are spinning. Loads of air flow.
    I just tried The Guild 3 and it locked up during character creation... :wallbash:

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Whats the cpu temp when you're trying to game?

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd run a GPU stress tester so you can watch the GPU temps while it's under load. Than you can also watch the GPU fans to see what they're doing, as maybe it's bugged.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

I tried that before and it crashed. What do you recommend for a stress test and monitoring software?

I have the worst luck with GPU's in the UK. Only lost 1 GPU between 2002 and 2013. Between 2013 and 2019 I went through 3. I've replaced my entire platform except for my PSU.

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

CPU temps...?

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

[​IMG]

This is at idle with Open Hardware Monitor, what do you want for a CPU stress test?
    I remember reading that some were good/bad for a i7 6700k.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Will GPU-Z log to file work if the system locks up? I'm not particularly keen on locking it up repeatedly.

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Silly question...I see you've fitted an AIO, is it fitted correctly / wired up correctly? As your CPU on that screenshot has hit 79...at idle?

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes, on the sensor tab there's a log to file check box in the bottom left-hand corner.

56 at idle is pretty high, assuming ambient isn't like in the 30-40 degrees range.

I guess you checked both fans on the GPU are spinning up, if so you may want to consider removing the heatsink and reapplying some thermal paste as high idle temps can be caused by poor contact.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Have you tried increasing the fan speed?
    Looks like your gpu doesn't have much space to bring in cool air/

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a deeper problem than a slightly warm GPU: if your system is at idle, why is it showing 60% CPU load across all cores and a 79 degree package temperature? I know Windows ain't the most efficient OS around, but still.

I'm wondering if there's something running that shouldn't be. Maybe try booting into a Linux live CD and checking the temperatures from there? If they're nice and low, and there's no suspicious load, then it's a software problem; if they're still toasty, it's a hardware problem.

adidan likes this.
  14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The right hand column is the max reading since opening OHM so maybe silk186 had a few things running before taking that screenshot, the left hand column is the current reading.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aaah, not used OHM myself. Still showing a 21% load and 75°C idle temperature, though - and that idle temperature definitely ain't right. That's a quad-core 91W TDP CPU on a 240mm AIO cooler; I'm running an eight-core 105W TDP CPU on the stock air cooler - set to low, no less - and I'm idling at 31°C with boosts to 36°C as I write this.

I'd be concentrating on that, rather than the GPU side of things. Something's badly wrong.

EDIT:
    Here are my current stats, for comparison.

upload_2019-7-5_9-18-39.png

That's RAM usage, CPU usage, CPU clockspeed, temperature from left to right.

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  16. silk186

silk186 Derp

Let's try this one instead.

Idle
    [​IMG]

Load (fans didn't become audible) - Subnautica, windows 1920x1080
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  17. Gareth Halfacree

That's looking a lot happier on the CPU side. Power draw for the GPU looks a little high for idle, though - the RTX 2080 I'm using idles around the 6W mark. I know AMD boards tend to run hotter, though, so I don't know if that's normal or not.

18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Switched to an AIO eh? The lack of air circulating have anything to do with the temps? Just a thought.

Edit: Looking at your case will your top intake be doing much now? Looks like it could just be getting exhausted by the fan above it as soon as it gets drawn in. Just speculating.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looks like you uploaded the same image twice.

My questions are:
    1. What is the direction of your case and AIO fans?
    2. What orientation is your PSU?
    Edit: Furmark is a great GPU stress test.

20. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just one thing - under load you are showing a 20C difference between maximum core temperatures - if it was my rig I would be cleaning and re-timming the AIO heatplate and checking it was evenly seated, then checking that the AIO pump is plugged into a m/b header providing 100% power (not PWM).

Also, what are your SSD temperatures? Are they M.2 SSD's? I have noticed that mine run much hotter than normal SSD's but I don't know what temperature they are affected by?