1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pistol_pete12, 15 Nov 2011.

1. pistol_pete12

pistol_pete12 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice please!

I'm looking to upgrade my current GPU which is the AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 6850. I am looking to spend approx £200.

My queries are:
    1) Is a £200 investment enough to give a significant improvement over the 6850?
    2) What cards do people recommend?
    3) Is it worth thinking about a crossfire setup, i.e. purchasing a second 6850 instead?

I appreciate the comments!
    Thanks.

2. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Why are you upgrading your card? its still the latest generation, buying a new one of the same generation wont have much of a visible difference. You might be able to play on ultra instead of high settings at the same res, thats about it.

Also, i wouldnt crossfire. It rarely seems worth it to me, brings its own headaches and doubles heat and power.

I would say wait until the 7xxx cards come out (january/feb sort of time it would seem most likely). Should be a bigger step up, then i would sell your 6850 for whatever money you can get, add it to your original budget and get a very decent card that you wont want to upgrade 6 months down the line again.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I agree with Bob. With the HD 7 series expected to hit the shops in only a couple of months, anything you buy now that improves on your current set up will be old technology in a couple of months, or at the very best will drop in price when the new cards are released.