1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 23 Dec 2013.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi,

My rig is in the signature below.

I am quite happy with how things are running at present.

However, I am well aware my GPU is running a little old, although by all means does it handle everything I have thrown at it.

I have seen a few nice prices of GTX 760 cards on scan, and evidently I'm aware its festive season and there will be sales on. I am looking to enquire if its worth keeping an eye out for a particular cards there may be extra value for money at this time of year, as I would most certainly be happy to snap them up.

In fact my budget is maybe upwards to £200, but this will indeed depend on how significant an upgrade this may be, and its value for money. I have tbh lost touch with the market since last year so I am yet again perplexed at whether I should be in the green camp or the red camp, though it appears the red camp is having some GPU difficulties?

It will be for gaming as always.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Happy festivals!

2. The Bear

The Bear What's a Dremel?

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It seems to be a weird time for GPU's (checkout this other thread)
    All I can say is if you find what you consider a good deal and you wonder if you should buy more than one , then buy them because many of the most popular cards in both camps seem to sell out quickly and are then discontinued like the MSI GTX 670 I bought and then sellers are asking well inflated prices for the ones that are still available :grr:

4. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

One of my questions really is whether the GTX 760 is actually a significant upgrade, considering I do have 2.5GB of VRAM on my 570 and I paid £250 for it or so 14 months ago.

Is there a performance gap that I can appreciate over the following year, or should I just hole out a bit longer?

MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Twin Frozr Gaming Edition Overclocked Nvidia Graphics Card at Scan for £183 on today only

MSI GeForce GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming Edition Graphics Card - 2GB for £237 on today only at scan.

The 760 looks interesting.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2013
  5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

570 v 760, the 760 wins all around apart from a few noise tests, less heat, less power and a pretty big improvement across the board.

760 v 770 and there are some significant FPS increases, checkout the comparisons for any games you may play that were tested.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I would not buy 2GB version as an upgrade, you should be looking at 4GB vram cards. While current games at 1080p might not really need it now... with newer games more and more likely to come as x64 and bigger textures on new gen, smaller vram cards are much more likely to find lacking much sooner.

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... I wouldn't go backwards on vram now with the next gen consoles out in the wild.

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?