1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling HAF 932 and TRUE 1366

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blassster, 15 Mar 2009.

1. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

Hey, bought a Coolermaster HAF932 and Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme 1366. Buying the rest of the i7 parts in a couple weeks. Currently running an oldschool Athlon 2500+ on an NF7-S 1.0, overclocked to 3200+.

My main concerns;

The HAF has its giant fans, but surrounding large portions of the case (at the fans) are just holes/grating that leave the inside of the case exposed. I thought, that didn't make sense for efficient airflow, yet this case is known for it's great thermal performance. Had a thought about taping this up.

Would you recommend putting clear tape on the inside of the case to cover this grating? I already did, tested for sound as well before and after. It seems quieter, but as far as cooling, anyone try this (or does anyone feel like experimentin')? Another side Q, anyone think that the clear packing tape would cause a problem with static?

Also, I bought the TRUE 1366. Would anyone recommend getting two new faster 120mm fans for it for a push/pull, that way they match speed as well? Or, if I were to just get ONE new fan, is a faster push or a faster pull more efficient? Also I read that you can make the TRUE blow vertically upwards instead of horizontally. What works better? Gah!

Thanks for clearing this up!

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

I'm using 2 Of these on my TRUE Scythe, and to battle the air flow of the Scythe are 2 Rosewill 120mm 80CFM @ 45dBA in exhaust.

When people put their TRUE vertically or horizontally is not because it works better than another, but simply because their NB heatsink is too tall, or something is blocking them from putting it one way or another. For instance I put my TRUE vertical because my Corsair Dominator memory sticks are too tall, hence vertical is my solution.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2009
  3. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Having it positioned vertically (like me as well) is better than horizontal in most cases as hot air is pushed towards the rear fan. For cases like the HAF though with a huge fan in the roof, this doesn't matter. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the air being sucked up from around your video card may be quite toasty.

Other wise, Scythe fans are good. Noctuas are even better, but more expensive.

4. GavX

GavX What's a Dremel?

Regarding gaps in the case, mixed views here I am sure, it means more fresh air can get it and cool down components, but I think it might also disrupt airflow, and might even make it "slightly" warmer. I would tape them up, see if temps are in check and if they are, go for it. less noise is always a good thing.

5. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that's how I feel, although I won't be able to test either one until I get the rest of my hardware in a month. Each way has an advantage!

Thanks for the replies everybody