1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hauser: ARM will 'obliterate' Intel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

ARM will win with integrated systems only.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Me think intel will look at there 11billion profit and laugh
    I'd be surprised if they don't try and buy out arm though

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Intel have their fingers in many many pies. X86 is just one of them. You can't kill Intel.

5. Baggpuss

Baggpuss What's a Dremel?

Give me something arm make that competes with i7 then we can talk. Until then no chance. I will agree they are doing well in the portable stakes but they arnt going to kill off intel.

6. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

intel should buy arm.

then buy AMD.

then nvidia.

then walmart.

The_Beast and TWeaK like this.
  7. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

Talk to us when ARM starts licensing server/workstation processors powerful enough to compete.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sure intel can afford to have a group of assholes brainstorm their business model just like this guy

9. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I say bring it on! As consumers we will benefit from the competition!

10. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Hopefully ARM will advance to 64-bit sooner rather than later so that we can actually consider the architectures in a somewhat equal fashion. Right now they've confined themselves to small consumer devices.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

two words: backwards compatibility

ARM won't obliterate Intel, they can only obliterate Intel on closed system market (mobile phone, netbooks, tablets) once they try to enter desktop PC market with that strategy, they'd fail so bad.

i usually support ARM. but comments like that is just irresponsible.

12. Smoothsmith

Smoothsmith What's a Dremel?

I don't really mind which way it goes, whoever gets the most performance/watt is who I'd rather succeeded! :p

13. SoulRider

SoulRider What's a Dremel?

There is no Intel V Arm war, this is just media overhyping, both can co-exist relatively peacefully together.

With the way that each semiconductor producer can have an ARM chip redesigned and altered for their particular needs, I wonder if we are going to have a return to the multi format PC's of days gone by, where you had BBC's, Acorn's, IBM's et al all vying for the dominance of the home PC market.

I think we'll go through a period of this again, where different platforms are avalaible for the desktop, and then something new will come along and standardise everthing again, as seems to be the way of things...

What do you guys think?

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Seems like a pretty daft comment to make. Intel have the wrong business model? Really? So why is it they own the PC market when it comes to processors (making Billions)...oh right, coz their model is wrong. Sure. ARM may be winning with little things but Intel still rule for the proper computers.

15. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

I don't actually understand how ARM can possibly "obliterate" Intel in any way other than the mobile phone sector.
    Hauser's reasoning seems to have no-scope other than the mobile phone sector, and while it may be true that mobile phone manufacturers are more than happy to licence products from ARM at the moment, it doesn't apply for the future of technology or indeed for any of the other electronics orientated markets out there. System makers for Server and Graphics rendering companies will almost certainly not want to bother licensing a design and then making it themselves, when they can just buy in the latest batch of Intel processors,

In the big scheme of things Price is the the biggest controlling factor in any companies expansion, and If ARM ever brings out a product to compete with x86 then Intel will merely lower its price and provide a cheaper and because of its long history in the desktop and laptop computing markets, OEM's wont have to change the way the systems are designed and built.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The only battlefield these two cross is tablet devices and yes I think arm will win simply because
    win 7 + atom < android + arm
    or some optimised os for such micro processors.

Atom was an attempt to sell **** to whoever was buying and move old stock. Compare it to say snapdragon, atom is hot and power hungry for the intended market. Phones arn't far off handling full 1080p playback yet look how many netbooks struggle without a GPU to back them up.

TBH tho I still don't think its intel's fault. Intel is designing for x86 which microsoft and OEM's *cough* HP *cough* try to convince us are suitable for portable devices. That's why arm supposedly beats intel. Apple and samsung etc actually design products that use ARM's processors well.

Didn't intel invest recently in SoC design?

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I can see that eventually, some day, ARM might make it back into the PC market.
    They were there last with NT4, its just up to Microsoft to port Windows to it.

Once thats done, ARM will take up a LOT more space.
    If that doesn't happen, ARM is going nowhere higher than Netbooks, and even then far from the market leader.

People want MS Windows.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

arm will definitely succeed in low-end devices, imo thats a given. intel is NOT doing a good job on low-end stuff - they overprice everything, they're relatively too power consuming, and they do stupid things like put their crappy integrated graphics on the cpu package. however, arm is way too cocky to think that they will obliterate intel as a whole - x86 is WAY too dominant to get replaced. if x86 wasn't so dominant, companies like amd would have gone with a new architecture by now instead of trying to compete against intel, and microsoft would have created windows for PPC a long time ago.

as much as i'd like to see x86 get replaced, its not going to.

19. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

you are all forgetting that the mobile phone market IS the future of PCs.

In two years, when your phone can communicate with your TV / monitor in HD, what is the need for a beefy laptop desktop for the 80% of business users? Most use their PCs for Outlook, mail, excel and web apps.

There will still be the PC gaming market, but again that may shrink as new generations of consoles come out.

What happens when they release a console designed around the idea of multiple processors / cores? All they would need to do is add in a slot where you could slip in another processor and bam, simple upgrade for the middle of that consoles lifecycle.

With Office online / google apps, etc there is even less of a need for a device running windows. As long as you have a standards compliant browser & a internet connection (lets hope those phones have em!), and you have instant access to your files. (with a business supported server farm of course to keep 3rd parties away from mining your corp data)

20. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Something Wall-mart This Way Comes.

:D :D

Tags: Add Tags