1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help my computer is broken.!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeTitan, 24 Jan 2004.

1. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

Ok was playing a game of TO when my computer turned off, i didn't think nothing of it until I tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't turn on. Sometimes when i hit the power button the board lights up and stuff for like a split second but then quickly turns off. I did not have this computer overclocked, Plus my video card has a new fan that makes it run like a dream and my CPU has a big Zalman Sunflower cooler CN-7000 i believe? It has never done this before. It makes it look like my power switch is the dodgy item but i don't know for sure. Im checking all the connectors right now to make sure but it looks like everything is connected.....

please help :waah: :waah:

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

From my 7 months fixing broken computers off production lines, I'd say that that's about 75% likely to be the PSU, 15% motherboard, and 10% something else. If at all possible, try another PSU, then work from there - unplug everything apart from CPU, RAM and GFX, then if it still doesn't work, try to eliminate them (got two sticks of RAM? Put each of them in in turn) until you determine what's causing the problem. Good luck!

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Good chance its PSU, wont be the power switch I think as thats momentary.

Does it switch on OK if you leave it for a while, might be an overheat protection facility on the motherboard.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Sounds very much like a PSU issue, tho u say u get momentary switch on, which could be some sort of over current protection.....
    Check with a new supply then as suggested remove all non essential parts and test.

5. Bloodsmoke

Bloodsmoke What's a Dremel?

I would also say PSU, to check you can take it out and jump the 4th pin to the 6th and see if it starts.
    :thumb:

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I had the same exact problem with my main rig last friday, turned out it was the psu (no clue why it died... proably drew more than it was willing to give). So, as suggested multiple times, try another psu!!

7. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

I would agree on PSU, mine did the exact same, and it was a bad PSU.
    :thumb:

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Don't know about you guys but I'm starting to think it might be a power supply problem :D :D :D

9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Actually I was thinking PSU, but you might be right :hehe:

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

ok guys, enough of the replying for the sake of replying... If you've got nothing to suggest that it isn't a power supply issue in this case, please post... anymore posts that say "I think it's a PSU problem" from anyone other than the thread starter, I'll be removing those posts as soon as I see them.

Thanks