1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help with a Plasma Ball

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Chucjy, 22 Aug 2004.

1. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

Well I have had this plasma ball lying around for a while now and I ve seen people with them in there pc's so I want to do the same :D

Now I've looked around on the forums and that And ive gathed I need to get some insulation .... what things can I use ?? ( easily available in uk plz :D )

Also how can I wire it up to my psu / would it be easier jsut to plug it in and have the wires coming from the back of my case e.t.c.

from wat I can gather I think the actual globe is plastic and I read glass is better? any more info please ???

A few pics of my globe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

As far as EMI goes, I will leave that to other people since I'm not too keen on the distance it radiates and the tolerance levels of electronics that are placed near it.

You will need to wire it up to the yellow wire of the PSU, the 12v rail. Positive connects to the yellow wire and the ground will be connected to the black wire. You can extend the switch by desoldering the switch and extending it with wire to whatever part of the case you want.

3. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

wow cool tnx for the quick reply :thumb:

forgot to say Ive got a Chieftec Dragon Case and am Thinking of having it at the front under the front usb

piccy

[​IMG]

4. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

You don't need insulation; glass is a great electronic insulator. Go do BlingMethod and he did it (I forget which project) and he didn't use any insulation.

5. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

but I think I hav a plastic globe .. well it feels n sounds like plastic

6. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

if you hit it with a hammer we will be able to determine if its glass or plastic
    *snigger*

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well, i got a plastic globe and when u knock on it, its sounds hollow, next to that I have a lava lamp, when I knock on the glass part - not next to the liquid - it - um... sounds like tapping.

Theres ur guide to glass and plastic for n00bs. :rock:

EDIT: If all fails, get a hammer and smash it - no, not the globe, ur 'ead

8. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

lol thanks for the suggestion yah as I thought it was plastic :D ... so would it be easier to go out and buy .... a new plasma ball or .... insulate it ?

oh btw i did same as u wonka hehe me likes me lava lamp

9. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

This has been debated back and forth forever. The balls have been used in several mods. One that I saw (I think in some QCon pictures) had the ball mounted right over the ram with no insulation. He seemed to be gaming away just fine.

If you are worried about it then get some modders mesh or something similiar, shape it into a half globe and mount it behind the globe on the inside of the case. Make sure its well grounded to the case and not touching the globe and you have your shielding.

10. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

xoxide sells them along with the adapter for your psu and a neon at the bottom. 16.99 USD, they might do world shipping. heres a pic of my case with one.

[​IMG]

11. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

You know, plastic is a pretty good insulator, too. If you have a multimeter, check the output along the outside and see what you get.