1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HighPoint Rocket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bonzo45, 13 Sep 2010.

1. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hey All,

Technical question here: I'm currently running a Crucial C300 64GB off of a SATA 2 port on my motherboard, and I need more SATA connectors so need an expansion card. (Currently I'm running without my DVD Drive!)

My Motherboard is a GA-P31-DS3l, and I think it has PCIe x1 v1 slot. I'm wondering, because of the bandwidth restrictions of PCIe x1 v1 is it worth me getting a HighPoint Rocket card? I'm getting pretty awesome read speeds currently - should I just get a standard SATA II expansion card to free up some space, and save some cash?

I figure that SATA II is 3Gbps, which is 375MB/s, and according to wikipedia PCIe x1 v1 is 250MB/s, so will it bottleneck SATA II (let alone III), or am I missing something?

Cheers,
    Sam

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Going on the discussions around the forum.. the Highpoint card will be limited to about 200MB/S in a v1 slot. So, not going to be worth it.

Bonzo45 likes this.
  3. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

its slower in a PCI-E v1 than most onboard sata II controllers

unless you've got a V2 slot, there is no point getting it.

Bonzo45 likes this.
  4. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Thanks a lot! Won't be getting a HighPoint Rocket card! Read speeds are awesome currently, anyway!

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Ummmm...

Just to note, your speeds are hugely off for 3Gb/s SATA as you've ignored the 8b/10b encoding head...

3Gb/s becomes 2.4Gb/s (after the encoding overhead) -> 286.1 MB/s

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

If you just had the optical and a storage drive going through the expansion card and left your primary drives (os/games/apps/scratch) direct to the board i wouldn't have thought you would notice any real difference in actual use. Highly likely that i might be wrong though ;)

7. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

What does the encoding overhead account for?

Does this mean that it still needs 3Gb/s over the bus, but only 2.4Gb/s will be used for actual data. Or is the encoding an optimization?

Yeah, that's what I reckoned I'd do, just run my DVD Drive off of the PCIe card.

Oh... :eyebrow:

8. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

What it basically means is that for every 8 bits that are transfered either way, an extra 2 bits are also transfered - so 20% of the total bandwidth is knocked off in encoding overhead...

(for a very dull explanation as to the reason for this wiki has this)

Afaik, the only common tech in the near future that's moving away from this to something more efficient will be pcie 3.0 which will use a 128b/130b encoding - reducing the overhead to ~1.6%... ...basically allowing what would be a 60% increase in bandwidth over 2.0 using 8b/10b to become a ~97% one.

2.0 -> 5GT/s @ 8b/10b -> 4GT/s.
    3.0 -> 8GT/s if it used 8b/10b -> 6.4GT/s.
    3.0 -> 8GT/s @ 128b/130b -> 7.88GT/s.

Bonzo45 likes this.
Tags: