1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding how do I smooth out the lid on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by OneSeventeen, 29 Nov 2005.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I want to smooth out the lid on mylaptop, meaning make it look like one smooth surface (meaning I want to get rid of the "HP" badge and the small square that the badge fits in).

I want to be able to prime and paint the surface with a custom colour, and don't know what products to use to fill in the gap. (I've tried a few things on test plastic, but the stuff keeps sliding off and won't stick, but I've seen people here do stuff like this all the time.)

Preferrably US products I can grab from walmart or home depot, but whatever works. (I want this to look professional in the end, I plan on hours of sanding/polishing)

2. A3D

A3D What's a Dremel?

3. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

For paint, Krylon Fusion is the way to go. You can use it as a primer, and then stick whatever color you want on that, or you can just go with the Fusion (it comes in some nifty colors).

4. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

yeah i would def use some filler type product. i would suggest:
    http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=42
    you can get it at Advanced Auto or the like.

after you remove the logo from the top of the case, you want to sand it down make sure you rough up the area of the logo real well so that the bondo will have something to adhere too. use some low grit in the small square.
    after this, apply the bondo in a few layers like shown here:
    http://www.creativemods.com/content/view/77/39/

and just follow along!

after all this... prime and paint as needed!