1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP donates AdvFS code to Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

while i am perfectly happy with ext3, it does bring a smile to my face that HP have donated code, i certainly hope that they release more

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

IMAO, that's always the problem with code donations.... However, I also see it with good eyes.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ReiserFS is still being modified by the community....

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's mature but not to the end of it's life. FS doesn't need to be bleeding edge, it needs to be stable

NINJA EDIT:
    But reiser4 isn't accepted in the main Linux kernel tree (for various reasons), so you'll always have to patch your kernel sources to use it

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Which I make clear in the article, with reference to all the wonderful features of AdvFS.

Also, there are 10 types of people in this world: those who know binary, those who don't, and those familiar with Gray Code. :p

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yes you did... Filesystems are one of the few things that don't have to update frequently.

8. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

I'm very glad to see this; there are a lot of features here that stand-out, much in the same way that ZFS does. ZFS still seems to have the all-singing, all-dancing feature list, but AdvFS has a few huge plus points; it's license-compatible with the Linux kernel and it's insanely stable. Which of course means you can use it on Linux without having to resort to FUSE, and also that we'll finally get something a little more advanced than your bog-standard journaled file system. :D

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is HP's reaction to ZFS: if Linux users start climbing over themselves to use OpenSolaris for their storage servers, then they'll start hemorrhaging Linux customers. If they send this out into the world of FOSS, at a time when everyone's minds are on ZFS' awesome feature set; they could wind-up with a serious, GPL'd contender. :cooldude:

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

just out of curiosity is there any timeframe on ext4

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's already (dev) in the kernel tree, so you already can use it. I tried it and it was quite good, but I'll never use it outside a testing machine.

Development of ext4 seems to have stopped working on it, and even their mailing lists don't give an answer on a stable release time :s

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org/msg02921.html

Tags: Add Tags