1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP's web-printers to print adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 17 Jun 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Are we getting the printer for free or something? What's in for the customer in this deal? Ink, esp. for HP printers isn't exactly cheaps these days. So you do not only get a newsletter you can't turn off (as they know it costs actual money to print something which'll get binned instantly), you'll have colored ads as well? The idea of the printer is brilliant, but this reminded my again why I do not buy HP products.

3. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

if HP provide me with free ink for life then you can print all the ads you want.

4. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

what he said

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I won't be getting one of these then. Pity, I liked the concept.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It will take about 50 seconds for someone to come up with a firmware hack to disable the adverts.

Better still, someone will just write an Outlook/Mail plug-in that automatically sends e-mail attachments to the printer, activated by a command code embedded in the e-mail title or body. Job done, HP not required.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What I'm more confused about is why on earth I'd print off newsfeeds (with or without adverts) in the first place - isn't that what the web is for?

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

...or someone will hack the email server and send lemon party and goatsee to everyone...

9. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

As long as it's possible to install the AdBlock extension, fine

10. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Even simpler, it doesn't need net access so block it's local IP in your firewall, sorted.

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If they give me free ink to print this **** out than I am all ears.

12. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

whats next, adverts on loo role? thats a better idea i think cause then you can, you know what... :p

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i was think what the rest of you were, if they pay for the ink fine, but i dont think i will get one

14. leslie

leslie Just me!

It's bad enough they tend to always make sure you print that single line on page 2, when you only want one page, now this?

HELL NO.
    You want to pay for the ink AND paper, fine. Until then, keep your sh*t off my print jobs.

Honestly, I can't wait for a lawsuits.
    Wasting ink and paper, running competing ads... No, no lawsuit there at all. This was already struck down with fax machines, it will happen again with printers.

Why the hell does my printer need an email address? What's next, my fridge? Is this really the best HP can come up with? I hope this printer is free and ink is cheap. And well labeled as to what it does.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The idea is brilliant, think about it: No need for crappy drivers set up on every machine you own, printing from your mobile phone (or any other device capable of sending emails *ipad cough*, your friends can print as well when they're over (if you trust them enough that is). You can even put the ugly thing somewhere hidden away, as it only needs to be connected to the internet, no need for USB connection.

I'd have gotten one if not for this. But I really should have known better, it's made by HP after all.

16. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

Great idea if you're HP. Sell expensive ink, waste said expensive ink and make money while doing so. Win, win and more win!

Not so good if you're a consumer... But then again, if anyone bought a HP printer, they probably deserve it..

17. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

This is probably going to be more popular that we think. If the concept itself weren't so good it would be a terrible business decision, but the concept is awesome.

True, it's going to cost £1 million in ink and you'll be reading naff adverts on everything but it's a nice piece of technical progress for a company that, whether we like it or not, is quite near the forefront of the technology.

18. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

The idea is sound, as it has already been mentioned no drivers to install. Just plug in and email your documents to the printer. Although what document support do we have? Every single document type known to man, even the more obscure ones or just a set of standards?

I hate adverts with a passion, they bear no effect on what I buy or do. If they are charging for ink and paper yet still print these adverts then it's already a fail. They need to either provide free ink, or paper or have a really cheap printer. About £20 - £30 for it to actually work, if my printer starts printing adverts most days...

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have my printer on my server, and I've not had to install drivers on each machine that prints to it.

You can, and have been able to get wifi enabled printers for ages now, so cables aren't an issue.

My friends can damned wall print their own files at home... have you seen the price of ink??

Pointless product.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The only application I can think of is that I want to send something to my own printer remotely (i.e. from another PC or mobile somewhere). But in that case I can just e-mail myself an attachment. It would be nice if that attachment could be sent straight to printer, but not exactly vital; you could simply print it out yourself once you've returned home.

And anyway, Evernote fits the bill much better, is free and doesn't hassle you with commercials.

Tags: Add Tags