1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I’m So Sick Of World War II

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

It's getting almost as bad with games set in "modern" times, in that they're basically set in Iraq. I'm pretty sure there's still conflict elsewhere guys.

Also, pirate games lend themselves to the spinning wheels, too!
    Pirates of <location>
    Pirates of the <sea/ocean>
    Buccaneers of... etc.

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

A new pirates game would be awesome

4. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

I was discussing the same thing with my mate a few months back... one of the reasons I don't enjoy FPS titles anymore is because of the fact that they are all the same and probably just have slightly improved graphics over the previous one I played...

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

WWII games could be refreshed if more of them focused on the eastern front. But the yanks wouldn't buy that.

Yeah but Afghanistan and Pakistan are basicly the same thing as Iraq, and a game on Somalia would meet a lot of resistance from the politically correct.

Pirates FTL, they dont have machineguns. I remember playing a game called Tortuga, that was fun but it was an RTS/Adventure/RPG sort of thing not an FPS.

EDIT: Reading the article right now. WWI wouldn't make a good game, unless you enjoy spending weeks in trenches and rushing into machinegun fire while trying to get past all the barbed wire and artillery barrage.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2009
  6. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

There was a game called Age of Pirates, made by a small Russian studio, which was quite good, but it got repetetive and was more bug-ridden than the biscuits on a pirate ship. Personally, I don't think I have played a WWII FPS since Medal of Hono(U)r Frontline. I think my will to buy a game switches off as soon as I see WWII.

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

They keep making these games b/c they sell well. I'd guess that the biggest video game market is amongst 15-25 yr old males.

How well do you really think that a 3-4 year old game will sell compared to a 0-1 yr old game?

While the "I"m so sick of WWII games" is a valid complaint, it's quite whiney. If you're tired of WWII games, then stop playing them. Find a different genre to play. Find and install mods for the game. Or even better, do something more productive with your time.

What do you really want? A game based on the Korean war? The Chechnya conflicts?

Play some CoD4 and then hold your breath until Modern Warfare 2 is out.

8. CardJoe

Um, I'm not really in a position where I can...

9. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Don't worry joe, it'll be over by Christmas.

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

wheres our ninja game? 1950's gangster game? colonial jungle warfare game? roman legion game? roundheads and cavaliers? cowboys and indians? japanese feudal? american civil war?

something new now please!

11. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

WWI would make a very poor setting for an FPS. The weapons weren't that great and fighting in the trenches (which is what most of WWI was) would be too boring. It would work in other genres though, like flight sims (Red baron) and RTS.

12. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

A-Men.

I almost forgot, I'm getting sick of 'space marine' games, too. ODST is a bit of a change of pace, but seriously guys, let's have a new genre already.

13. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Yes, yes YES YES BLOODY YES!

I am sick of WWII shooters being pumped out constantly. What makes it worse is that it always seems to be from the US point of view, forgetting that there was a rather large war in Europe before they arrived, and North Africa? Hello never see much of that.

Give us something new and interesting. Oh wait, there is. Osmosis, Braid, etc etc. Thank you for the indy developers giving us something different!

14. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Yeah, some great ideas for games there! As for an FPS/RPG pirate game, yes please! :thumb: Another thing I've wanted for a long time now is a good FPS/RPG medieval game, say with elements from Oblivion, Thief, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic etc, but without any of the magic and mythology. Just plain old history. The closest I've found is Mount and Blade, chopping people down from horseback with a two-handed axe cheesecake!

15. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

does noones else think that its perhaps the weapons that make the games?
    for example i keep going back to Day of Defeat Source cos u just cant beat the thrill of a bolt action rifle... i think its the same reason i like Killing Floor every now and then.
    The german guns like the k-98 versus the American Garand make for some awesome firefights but you can't rip the guns out of the setting cos it feels all wrong.
    it might just be me though... Far Cry 2: i take the bolt action sniper rifle every time, Killing Floor: i take the lever action rifle every time, Day of Defeat: almost religiously play the Wehrmacht and take the k-98. i am royally screwed if they put something bolt-action in Left4Dead 2 :(

anyone else have bolt-action-fixation? ...i might start a forum thread on this.

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I hope you aren't really expecting us to feel sorry for you while you get paid to play videogames, do you?

No wait, forget i said that...
    *ahem*

Joe, i feel really really sorry for you, and because i'm such a nice guy, i'll help you out. I'm willing to take your place in the bit-tech offices for a few months. I'll play all those nasty videogames for you, and i'll even write about what i thought of them. I'll even be kind enough to write the odd column. All i need is the attached paycheck. Waddaya say, huh? :naughty:

Ok, more ontopic, i do agree with your point. Moreover, all WWII games seem to be terribly biased and overly focused on the whole Nazi = evul theme. As if the german footsoldiers you are shooting at were all puppy-murdering baby-eating seal-clubbing orcs. :wallbash:

However, because i'm not forced to play them by anyone, i'm mostly able to ignore them. Instead, when i want to shoot some stuff i play Crysis, COD4, Halo, Stalker, Dead Space, a bit of UT, or Left4Dead. All of those are great and completely Nazi-free. :thumb:
    I basically behave like a proper consumer, which you never can because you get sent all these games for free. (poor, poor man. I am very serious about the offer you know, i'm just that much of a nice guy)

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know what you mean Joe, the same-old battles done over and over are getting a little boring.

I wouldn't mind more WW2 games if we could have something that was a little more focussed on one theatre, say North Africa, through Italy and then to Germany, following one person/squad, rather than the CoD way of having a million people on different fronts.

18. CardJoe

Why can't we play as good Nazis?

19. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

oooooohhhhhh... too soon? ;)

20. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

people don't like to eat babies, murder puppies or club seals in a videogame

Tags: Add Tags