1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor i3 Server / Low power system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nry, 10 Oct 2011.

1. nry

nry Minimodder

I seem to be having massive issues with my miniITX board with uses a T7200 CPU

No idea if its a faulty board or just my config. Not really got time to test.

Soooo as its for work I need to buy a new system ASAP!

It needs to be low power (as possible!!!) 120w psu MAX I dont want to be buying a new one!

I have been looking at the i3 2100T CPU which is 35w £98 on ebuyer.

8GB DDR3 about £40ish

I need a microATX board which has onboard video, minimum 5 SATA (RAID10 support would be nice, but may do it software in ubuntu) As Im running 4x 320GB 2.5" drives.

I would also like a board which has onboard lan teaming, if not I will have to buy a lan card too.

Any recomendations on a board? I have never built a i system before so not too sure what I should look out for!

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

i3-2100T is a stupid buy. In idle there are marginal differences between any of Sandy Bridge CPUs. We are talking about single digit differences between dualcore Celerons and quadcore i7-2600K. So save yourself lot of money and get a Pentium G620 - or if you can buy in other shops, then get a Celeron G530.

mATX Sandy Bridge board with dual LAN - now that is something i don't think you will find. 5 SATA also means you need to look for H67/Z68 boards.

3. nry

nry Minimodder

They are half the price, but TDP is 65w, I have a 120w psu at the moment, could maybe get a 150w but nothing more!

Could the TDP on that cpu be a issue?

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

At the top you say itx then later matx... Which one?

5. nry

nry Minimodder

6. nry

nry Minimodder

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yeah, as i said, it is "single digits" difference :).