1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other In Washington for 1 day, what to see?

Discussion in 'General' started by smc8788, 19 Sep 2014.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm currently visiting my mum in the US as she's working over here at the moment. She leaves next Friday morning (works on cruise ship) however I will be flying out at 10pm Saturday from Baltimore airport. There doesn't seem to be much to do in Baltimore and I would really like to visit Washington however there seems to be a lot to see and do given I only have 1 maybe 2 days there. This is complicated by the fact I already have a hotel booked near the airport for Friday evening so I would have to travel there each day (seems pretty easy as there is a direct train from the airport to union station).

Has anyone here ever been there or live near there and could recommend the best places to visit while I'm there?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

DC or State...

EDIT: Derp, you said Baltimore so that's gonna be 'DC'

Never been so other than tourist-y places like the Smithsonian i got nothing...

3. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

May as well go and check out the White House, would be rude not to. If you've only got one day, you could take an open-top tour bus and ride around to get a feel for the place.

Or you could try and spot your favourite places from Fallout 3 (yes, only the major landmarks are there, but... Fallout 3!)

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah I'll do all the obvious stuff like the white house, the national mall and the monuments. I'm just not sure what museums are worth going to as a first time visitor. I was thinking about the air and space and natural history museums as I find those sorts of things interesting, but there are about 10 or 15 others in close proximity as well as other places like Arlington cemetery and I can't possibly fit all of it into a single day.

5. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The air and space and the natural history museums there are fantastic, but quite busy a lot of the time. Wandering around the mall and visiting those two museums will probably take care of a full day with ease.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I got spat on by a hobo in Washington.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

May be a bit tricky at the moment as they had an attempted security breach, the second in about a week. The latest one a guy made it to the front door with a knife.