1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Insurance for a personal possession?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nealieboyee, 25 Jan 2012.

1. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Hi All,
    I've just bought the girlfriend a DSLR, and although its not the most expensive one, its still £360 that could get broken, stolen etc.

How would i go about getting it insured? I'm not a homeowner. I'm simply looking to insure a personal possession.

Best place to insure it?

Thanks!

Betty/Neal

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ask the camera dealer or look at the adverts in a camera magazine. Many companies will insure camera equipment.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Something like Your Bubble would be perfect I reckon, though there are probably various companies offering such a service, worth getting quotes & shopping around.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Check if your bank account comes with any benefits such as gadget insurance... Barclays Current Account Plus will cost £6.50 a month but will insure your phone (inc iPhone,etc), gadget up to £500 (iPad, camera, Tom Tom, etc), cards in your wallet and extended warranty on any new purchase over 25 squid. Yes, it's an ongoing expense each month but, if you are the sort of person who worries about insurance, it's a good deal. Particularly as I've had personal experience of the claims process and got paid out with a cheque to just go and buy another phone!

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

My contents insurance comes with £5,000 of cover for personal posessions outside of the home, it added about £4 a month to the cost of the policy.

Do you have contents insurance?

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Zin is right... Contents insurance is available for tenants. Student possessions is also available if you are, you know... A student...

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

+1. If your living in your own place or student accommodation you should have your own contents insurance. Otherwise I would highly recommend Insure and Go for gadget insurance.

8. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Only thing to watch out for with contents insurance is that a lot of them are set up in a way that provides a competitive quote for "average" style insurance.

However, if you have more unusual items - jewellery, gadgets/computers of a certain type or over a certain cost, the premium suddenly jumps. Also make sure that if you go with general contents insurance it covers you while you have the item away from home.

9. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

If you get on mumble occasionally then we wont come and break it....:D

On a serious note:

-Most contents insurance will cover any single item up-to £1,000, anything worth more needs additional cover.

-Most contents insurance will only cover this stuff in the home, 'away from home' cover costs extra. That said some unscrupulous non-bittech type people, might just claim the item was broken at home, and would be fine.

-Make sure you get accidental damage cover which is usually a slight additional cost.

I just renewed my contents cover in my rented/unfurnished house, I also got my misses a Cannon D1100 for crimbo :)

CO-OP: £40,000 cover + accidental cover + legal fee cover + home emergency cover + 1 years no-claims = £100 for the year - £86 cash-back from Quidco = £14 for a years contents insurance.

I rang and haggled for that price, then 'didn't have my card with me' so got the quotes reference number, which I then input online for the cash-back and 20% online discount. best of both worlds. It helps that I have some cash-isa's and a generous bank-account with the CO-OP and remind them of that fact often.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012
  10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

You may find you don't get your Quidco in the end - I've tried this before and it tracks, but is eventually rejected because the quote wasn't completed entirely online.

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Already got it :D

Most people get the online quote and THEN haggle it on the phone.
    I got the phone quote first, and then input the reference number from that online and completed.