1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel confirms Ivy Bridge launch delay

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 28 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Samples are already out for SI and have been for a few weeks.. I shouldn't think it's the switch to 22nm that's causing the issue but as said overstocks on old lines as I know there's loads still out there.

3. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

so is it just for the laptop line or is it desktop also?

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Morre 1st world problems, life is getting hard in the west.

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Can old CPU be recycled by Intel? If so offer customers nominal cost to swap they stocks over

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

You can't blame them for getting rid of old stock first, especially when their old stock is still faster then the competition.

7. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

I woner if this will have any impact on Nvidia releasing their 6xx series. They could push back and wait along side with Intel or (I hope) bring their release forward as it would be a long time to wait for Ivy bridge. Fingers crossed the latter as we need some competition to bring the prices down.

8. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

*wonder .. dammit

9. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

does someone know this answer?

10. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I hope desktop processors aren't affected. I've just sold my 2700K in preparation for the upgrade! Good thing I have more than one reasonable computer :)

11. Ivoryspike

Ivoryspike Air Cooled

From what I have read, desktop will be pushed back from April to May (or later).

12. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

At that rate I might have started building my SB Xeon system before I get IB :) Oh well, no loss. I had fun with SB and the 2700K has gone to a nice home where it will be looked after :D

13. nilesfoundglory

nilesfoundglory What's a Dremel?

Both, according to an engineer I spoke with from a Tier 1 US manufacturer. They say it's yield and validation issues, and their Ivy Bridge desktops won't be available until June.

Engineering samples mean diddley-squat considering they become available as soon as the first successful wafer is produced. It is the switch to 22nm that's causing the problem. If you think it's overstock of SB, you're obviously not familiar with Intel's sales history of not really giving a damn regarding what's out in the retail channel before springing a new platform on everyone (Intel only recently discontinued a few - not all - 1156 socket processors as well as 775 socket CPUs, so we're talking about chips that have been on the market anywhere from 1-3 years prior to SB and nearly a year since).

Tags: Add Tags