1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel plans move to 450mm wafers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Dec 2010.

1. punkdown

punkdown What's a Dremel?

I think you probably mean D1X...

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I've never studied economics. From what I understand games company's are able to their console at a loss since they will get the money back from game sales.

Since Intel do not sell accessories for their products and do not get a cut from games sold it would seem the long term investment of running at a loss would be no money.

3. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I don't think Intel is going after AMD's market share with this one. It makes much more sense for them to keep prices as they are and reduce overheads to increase profit.

Also, I thought AMD was making a profit on each CPU they sell now? I was under the impression they've only been operating at a loss recently because they've dumped a load of cash into R&D.

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I doubt we will see prices drop on a consumer side remember they care about their wallets and bonuses more then they care about how much we want to save. ;)

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Not likely, as there's no volume production of 450mm wafers yet, nor are there production machines for the entire process.

It is good news though, because when Intel leaps the gate, the other manufacturers will follow, and 450mm technology becomes established.

Tags: Add Tags