1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks invisable TCP/IP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamie, 20 Mar 2002.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Yeah ... i am confused too ...

I have windows performance thing (win2k) logging processor usage and TCP segments in and out, the only problem is that TCP/IP seems to have disapeared from all existance, it just logs null values and the option to log it has gone :cries:

Anyone got any idea why is has vanished, coz i am on the internet now and i guess by being on the net and having a network card connected to another pc TCP should be there :confused:

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I have found this but dunno how to fix it :s

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Perflib
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1017
    Date: 19/03/2002
    Time: 20:22:37
    User: N/A
    Computer: SPIKEE
    Description:
    Performance counter data collection from the "Tcpip" service has been disabled due to one or more errors generated by the performance counter library for that service. The error(s) that forced this action have been written to the application event log. The error(s) should be corrected before the performance counters for this service are enabled again.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Perflib
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1010
    Date: 19/03/2002
    Time: 20:22:37
    User: N/A
    Computer: SPIKEE
    Description:
    The Collect Procedure for the "Tcpip" service in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\Perfctrs.dll" generated an exception or returned an invalid status. Performance data returned by counter DLL will be not be returned in Perf Data Block. Exception or status code returned is data DWORD 0.
    Data:
    0000: 05 00 00 c0 ...À

3. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

here it comes the big f word FORMAT ( cue spooky music ) its sounds like u have a corupt file in ur system i dont think there is an easy way to do it

4. pszaro

pszaro What's a Dremel?

A Couple of options:

1.) Use the unlodctr and lodctr commands to unload and reload the affected counters and see if the error messages stop. This likely may help, but it also may likely not.

2.) Use the Extctrlst.exe utility (from W2K resource Kit) to completely disable all extensible counters on the machines in question. This will likely get rid of the issues, but will need to be done completely and not singularly for certain counters. As I mentioned yesterday, Simply having one bad counter enabled can cause the entire system to go berserk and can even throw errors for other counters.

3.) Going further, you can use the article provided with this message (Q300956) to completely rebuild the performance counter library and get it back to virgin status. This "last resort" step is practically guaranteed to get rid of the offending error messages.

Some more links to help you out:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300956

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q267831

Tags: