1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is it worth getting a 10 series card right now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matticus, 22 Jun 2018.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am thinking of selling my laptop (i7-7700hq, 1060 6gb, 16gb ram, 256gb m.2 ssd, 500gb ssd) and picking up a Ryzen 2700 + 1070ti build, I have a few cases and PSUs kicking around so I "only" need motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU to get me going, then I'll grab some more storage as I need it.

I bought the laptop around 6 months ago because I didn't have the space, but now I do. So my question is, is it worth selling the laptop while it still has current gen graphics (for ease of selling) then picking up a Ryzen 2700 + 1070ti?

It seems like no one really knows when the next gen of cards are coming out so I might be waiting forever. I don't exactly have money burning a hole in my pocket, but it's starting to get pretty toasty in there! :grin:

My choice of Ryzen 2700 over 8th gen Intel is that it's way cheaper than the i7's and I have started streaming as a bit of a hobby ( check out MrMattics on Twitch :p ) and the extra cores/threads would be magical for encoding. The single threaded performance difference isn't a huge bother as they are pretty dang fast anyway.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd say yes.

Even if an 1180 launched tomorrow it would probably still be at least half a year until the "proper" next gen cards (aka 1180ti non reference) anyway.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'd say yes to, bare in mind I now have a Ti and rock a Ryzen Gen 1 (soon to be a Gen 2) - My Ti crucifies everything thrown at it at 2560x1400 maxxed out, I even have a GPU block for said wee beast (for when I get around to sorting out it's fixed home in the near future).

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jun 2018
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If you're happy gaming on the laptop, keep it.

If not, get a 10 series now. 11 series at the earliest looks to be Q3 and then, as has been said, there's a wait for non-ref cards.

Me? I'd sell and get back on the desktop. My gaming laptop (I say gaming, it's only an 850m) seved a purpose a few years back but now it never gets used.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you need a GPU now, then buy a 10-series card. If you don't mind waiting an indeterminate period of time for the next generation, hang about and see what happens. Personally, I think you can end up waiting forever for the next thing - there's always a new product somewhere around the corner. The trick is to buy a new product when you need it, and when you do, buy the best product that you can afford that meets your needs. Then forget about what else is going on and just enjoy what you have.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I would say it's only worth buying a desktop Pascal GPU 2nd hand now - prices on 2 year old hardware being so close to (or even over) original RRP is bonkers.

I would just hook the laptop up to an external display + keyboard & mouse personally. But I don't know how fussy you are with settings/resolution!

7. Matticus

Matticus ...

Wakka that's my setup at the moment :D

I would definitely like to go ahead with a build now, just need to make sure I can sell the laptop for something worth letting it go for, and make sure I don't have any surprise holidays to pay for or something :p

Thanks for the input guys.