1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Japan quake could compromise Moore's Law

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think Intel's comment 'came through this event in reasonable shape.' is probably the most telling here. If they are going to experience delays on any of their projects then they would have to go to the financial markets to inform shareholders.

3. fodder

fodder Minimodder

It's not just the lenses. I used to work for the largest manufacturer and developer of semiconductor production equipment in another division (Japanese company). This will effect everything from CPU all the way through to monitor panels. These production lines have incredibly tight tolerances and I wouldn't be surprised if those in manufacture are now a write off.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

This won't affect Intel's current production lines, though, just the move to 22nm?

So Intel's production lines won't be hit, it's just that their planned move from 45nm or 32nm to 22nm won't happen as quickly as they'd hoped - so it won't affect current processor lines, just new 22nm versions of existing chips or new processor models which we probably wouldn't be seeing for another 18months anyway.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Indeed the ramifications are wide spread, from Intel to car parts.

We purchase a very large amount of video tape stock, and our daily operations are now threatened. Sony's professional video tape production facility was heavily damaged, and tape production has been suspended indefinitely. Although we don't use Sony tape, the effect is an increased demand for JVC and Maxell tape. Suppliers are already seeing the results.

As it stands, if we make some significant changes to our recording strategy we can cover supplies to mid-April. After that, we have to hope that the other tape manufacturers can keep up with the rest of the industry, and that the expected price hikes in video tape aren't prohibitively high.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'd love to know how they make those lenses.

7. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

^^ Probably diamond turning from blanks and then buffing.

8. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

NewEgg just deactivated the Maximus IV Extreme, so I guess their new shipment is on the side of a mountain in Japan.
    I seriously suggest that anyone contemplating buying any new electronics whatsoever do so now. Don't wait a single minute. What is in stock now may not be replenished any time soon.

9. Nabil_18

Nabil_18 What's a Dremel?

Whoah... does anyone know how long it could take for things to get back to normal... manufacturing anyway?

10. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

lol, panic buying of electrical components

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

It's tragic what has happened in Japan. A lesson learned to the rest of the world is that we shouldn't rely on a single provider for certain hardware. It's micro economics on a macro scale.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

I thought Canon and ASML were making those.
    Then again, they might use Nikon lenses in their stepper-scanners.

There's a lot of different things going on that are going to influence semicon production quicker than non-avaiability of next-gen lenses however.
    Wafer production is down (this will probably hit first).
    25% decrease
    Production of certain slurries and chemicals is down.
    Production of PCB-materials is down (huh, I'd have thought this was in Chinese hands by now, but nope)
    Fairly basic things like extremely-clean shipping boxes are largely in japanese hands.

13. Tech NoOb

Tech NoOb What's a Dremel?

From months to a year probably, they have to sort out damage to factories and the infrastructure (roads and public transport).

It also probably means prices will rise in the short term due to demand and lack of supply.

Tags: Add Tags