1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kaze (Wind): New update 5/10!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GigantoR, 21 Jul 2004.

?

Which color scheme should I use?

1. White and UV Green

47 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. White and UV Red

72 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

This started out as a Chieftec dragon.

I have removed the 3.5 cages from the front panel, incluing the racks for mounting them. My dvd, cd-rw and hdd will all be in the 5.25 racks. I have a mount for my hdd with a custom cover already made from a bay filler and the same mesh from the grill from the bottom part of the panel. I will be relocating the power button, (not installing the reset button, will be easy enough to do later if I choose), and the switch for my ccfl to just under the front of the case, stealthed efficiently.
    The color scheme is one of two choices:

1. White everything, drives, anything that is not electronice or a cable or fan is white. With UV green cable sleeving and IDE cables. Maybe some sort of green tribal design on the outside.

2. Same as the first option except instead of UV green, it will be UV red. With maybe some sort of black and red design on the outside of the case.

So I need you guys to vote on this and help me out. I'm leaning towards red because I've never seen UV red stuff before, ecspecially in a white case.

Last edited: 10 May 2005
  2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's an interesting idea for the front, I like it! Much more airflow than the stock grill things :) And it looks better. Keep going!

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Did we really need to see your foot?

4. GigantoR

Decided to bring back some of the old news. I decided to change the theme of the case from black to white with UV green fans. Unfortunately I had already painted everything black and had to try to get it all off.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2004
  5. GigantoR

Update...and disaster

Well, I went over to the neighbor's sandblasting booth today. All went fine, paint came off like I needed it to. So I took it back home and was lookin at it. Then it hit me. Almost every panel and the frame looked really weird. The pressure and sandblasting had warped the aluminum. :sigh: My mobo tray has a nice wave to it, as well as every other part excluding the windowed door...because I didn't sandblast that part. I tried putting it all back together. Everything has a bizarre non uniform concavity to it. Looks like my case is trying to implode. I'll push it all togheter, then take my hands off, and a random corner will spring out of place to show just how much it has been bent. :miffed:

This is not a good thing. I may just buy a cheap Chieftec server case and start over. :blah:
    The case
    This is the same frame I have, and same everything that I need, without all the extra crap.

This will actually help, because it saves me the time of having to keep stripping down the panels and trying to get them back into shape.

I'll probably take pictures of the old frame and panels and put them in the failed mod section. :grr: So until then, I'll be working on the front panel, as that is still being a royal pain in my butt.

6. GigantoR

More old news: While sleeving my power supply, I somehow switched a wire somewere and fried my hdd. Not realizing what I had done, I then plugged that molex strand into my cdrw and dvd drives to see if it was just my hdd acting funny. Nope, both are dead, smoke was coming out of the front of the dvd drive, always fun.

So I replaced the psu, and dvd drive, still waiting on the cdrw. I have since fixed the psu, so I have a perfectly good 420 watt psu sleeved black for a backup now.

Unfortunately, this killed most all of the funding I had for this mod and I have not really recovered from that to be able to keep going on it. That and school is back in, so no time at all.

7. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Sounds like a good one to put in the disaster mods category.

From what I was reading. It sounded like you could use the old faceplate on the new case. I hope I’m right, I really liked how the face was coming out.

My first thought when I saw the pic of the face was: "Damn that's a big hole!" Good luck.
    :D

8. GigantoR

Yeah thats what I plan to do. I'm gonna use the faceplate and my window panel (thats still fine) on the new cae. I may look at a custom window since I'll now have an extra door panel layin around, so who knows.

9. GigantoR

After killing my psu and some other hardware, this is when I decided to change the color scheme. I got an aspire 500 watt psu with clear cover sleeved uv green. I also bought 5 80 mm uv green fans (1 side, 2 back, 2 replacing blue led fans in psu) and 1 120 green uv fan for the front.

10. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Woah everything white with green uv fans and sleeves should be good looking. I can't wait to see some pictures :clap:

11. GigantoR

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Moved to modding. As per the rules for PL's, working pics are a requirement for project logs - I'm only getting red x's or links to images here :confused: . When the pics are working reliably again let a mod or admin know and we can bump it back to Project Logs. :dremel:

13. GigantoR

Sounds good G. tryin to get this project goin again, as it is my daily rig its hard to get off of it long enough to do anything to it ;)

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

whats up with all the "see first post" posts....? and there arent any pics, were they removed? not much i can say that will help, as i have no idea what you want to do, what you've done, or what you wish you could do. :waah:

15. GigantoR

Sorry, the see first posts were just a bunch of random stuff, most of them talking about stuff that never happened, or a cooler or something that I got and replaced. I'm lookin to get ahold of my buddy's digital camera because my crappy little camera isn't much better than a webcam quality wise. As soon as I get more pics I'll get em up.

16. GigantoR

[​IMG]

Alrighty, here are the mods I have done so far.

1. Removed the 3.5 cages, and their mounting shelves.

2. Removed all the plasticware and fan bracets under the drive cages.

I have cut out a hole for a 120 mm fan in the front where the factory machined 80 mm grills were and mounted a 120 mm fan there.

My hdd is mounted in a 5.25 rack with 2 40 mm fans blowing on it. I've also mad a custom faceplate for this which matches the rest of the case a lot better than the stamped metal one it came with.

This has left some monster space in the front for some great airflow and also a wonderful spot for some watercooling stuff whenever I can afford it.

I have everything sleeved UV green and all my fans, I even replaced the ones in my psu with the see through cover, are uv green right now. I also have 2 12 inch uv cathodes mounted inside.

I am going to be building a system for a friend soon who wants the uv green theme in his case, so I think I'm going to give him the fans and accessories I have and get new ones UV red for me. He is cool with this.

As far as the rest of the case, everything, and I mean everything, is white. Everything I could disassemble and paint white I have.

This is the best I can come up with for pictures right now. I'm still deciding to modify the original front panel or continue with a custom panel I have been fighting with for a long time now.

17. GigantoR

Finally! I have pictures!!! My camera sucks though so bear with me.

Shot of the front with the new fan hole and 120 installed:
    [​IMG]

Shot of the HDD mount, it came with a front piece with 2 40 mm fans for cooling but all they seemed to do was blow dust on my nice shiny black WD 120 gig so I got rid of them and now I'm just using the 5.25 bay mount:
    [​IMG]

Side shot showing the fans in the back, my new CPU cooler, and also the PSU which I replaced the fans inside from led blue to uv green:
    [​IMG]

My fx 5200 which I attached an old coolermaster copper heatsink to for the hell of it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now some crappy night shots, my camera struggle a lot in the dark

The front fan all lit up:
    [​IMG]

The back fans and IDE cables lit up:
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot better than my crappy ass camera shows. The PSU is sleeved reactive green too, but its not as bright as the fans. The fans are much brighter. The inside of the case is lit up much better.

I think I'm gonna stick with the UV green theme, even though I like the red. My buddy isn't going to be able to pay for his new system for awhile, and I don't have enough money to replace everything in my comp right now. So I can save that scheme for my next machine, whenever that happens.

I still don't have a front panel right now. I'm about to just throw the original chenming panel on for a little while, to keep out some of the dust and keep people from sticking their fingers into the front 120 mm fan. Its amazing how many people do that.

I do plan to do some more serious modding to the psu and throw in probably another set of cathodes. Maybe one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/bus-52.html

Any thoughts on the interior? I like having a lot of open space for airflow and such. Also leaves a ton of space for a WC setup if I ever get the cash. Until then, its nice and roomy, and stays very cold in there too.

Can a mod please move this back to project logs please? Thanks guys!

:clap:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2005
  18. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

just thot I'd let you know that you'll be very lucky to get UV RED as it IS UV pink

[​IMG] you can just see my RED UV drive cables here.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  19. roachm

roachm What's a Dremel?

Better pictures please! :miffed:

20. GigantoR

Well I already said I'm sorry about the pictures. I can't afford half the stuff I need for this mod, let alone a new camera. :wallbash: