1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Kompressor/AC from Car

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kastman, 31 Oct 2002.

1. kastman

kastman What's a Dremel?

Thinking of getting some extreme cooling done in the computer so a Car AC should do the job i think. Just got one little problem need to know what car that could have a small enough radiator want it as small as possible.. anyone got any ideés? thinking of a kompressor from a refridgerator but i dont no if they are small enough... anyone got any suggustions??

Thanks

2. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Radiator from the heating duct on VW mk2 golf is perfect.

3. kastman

kastman What's a Dremel?

i allready got a radiator from a car i need some extreme cooling now not just water cooling i want to go minus degres :) a kompressor would do that just fine i think..

4. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Yeah have alook at the local tip and nick a couple of compressors from there. No garantees they will work but you'll atleast have a better chance if you grab a couple that atleast one will work.

5. kastman

kastman What's a Dremel?

i just need to know were i can find a small enought kompressor... refridgirator or in a car.. so if someone that knows cars now any car that got a small AC it would be intressting... or someone knows any other divice that could have a small one...

6. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I'm no expert in this area, but I do know that car AC units draw their power from the engine, via belts. As such, you would need to rig up a motor to drive it. Conversely, the compressors found in fridges, dehumidifiers(best option) etc, have the drive built in and "simply" have to be wired in.

I say dehumidifier compressors are the best option as they are usually desind for a more continuous cycle than refrigerator ones.

Hope this helps

8-ball

7. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

I am in the process of building a waterchiller ATM.

One thing Ive learned is that there is no actual difference in the time rating of compressors from fridges/freezers and de-humidifiers.

The only differences are in the horsepower of the compressor. De-humidifiers and flash coolers tend have more powerful compressors but it really does depend on the make/model etc.

You are best off looking at a range of compressors - all major manufacturers like hyundai, toshiba etc. make them - and choosing a size to looks for second hand. The smallest type will do fine for a direct die cooling solution as they don't need to be as powerful as a waterchiller. :)

good luck...

8. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Ive been thinking of doing something like this recently...im just interested in getting a watercooling setup done...my idea is to just drop the condenser(i think thats the part that gives off the cold...cant remeber). What I cant understand is why soooo many people go for a r134a refrigerant. r290 whilst explosive(propane) is a bit cooler and easily available. Finding someone licensed to obtain a enviromentally hazardous(license required) is not really too hard. Currently im looking into making a r740(Argon) phase change cooler....-182c...problem is...id need a vapochill type thing to go on the cpu because there are few liquids capable of remaining in the liquid state at such a low tempature...look at http://www.overclockers.com/tips1032/ for more info

9. D3mon

D3mon What's a Dremel?

for your actual compressor you may want to take a peek inside a caravan fridge ...
    most of those run off either 12volts or calor

10. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

I was tinkering with the IDea of hacking up a "bar fridge", the little one about 3' tall and 1.5' wide that they usually house in hotel rooms. The whole unit would eb nice and compact, and easily fit in a full tower, but might take some more finagleing to get in a mid tower...

Tags: