1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress LAN Cubular/Stacker Build - New Reservoir- 6th Jan 09

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ry@n, 5 Jul 2008.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yeah Cooler Master make some great gear, glad you are happy with it. I still think you could have pulled it off in the microfly though ;).

That is one monster screen you have there lol, time to bump the res up though, those icons are massive lol.

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Nice desktop shot there. I like the wallpaper. :D How big is that monitor? 26"? 32"? It looks huge compared to the other one, which I can't help but think is 15".

3. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I could have buuut I would have still been restricted to an mATX mobo :(

The screen shimmers at anything above 720p but 1920x1080 views perfectly in-game which is really weird. Thats with a HDMI to DVI cable but i've heard I might be able to get a higher res with a vga cable. The icons were sized large at the time btw (CTRL + scroll wheel in Vista).

The daddy is a 32" and the baby is a 16.5", its tiny but very useful!

Last edited: 31 Dec 2008
  4. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Re: screen shimmer - have you tried adjusting the refresh rate? Sounds like the game res settings which override the desktop settings are perfect, have you tried applying them to the regular desktop?

Ah, a 32"... wow :)jealous:) ... Don't destroy your eyes by sitting too close!

5. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Wow never knew about the ctrl + scroll wheel thing.

I used to use a 26" TV but prefer gaming on my smaller 19". I think there is a point where a monitor can become too big.

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

From the spec sheet on the JVC site it says "Picture Size W-XGA (1366 x 768), 81cm (32-inch)"
    so that that native resolution and yea i've tried all supported refresh rates and in combination with every resolution upto 1920x1080. I just can't understand how games view beautifully at 1080 but the anything that isn't a game doesn't. I've got used to it now anyway, i've had it running like this for over a year now.

7. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one ry@n :thumb:

8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Plans for the stacker
    1. Mount the slot loader, possibly here:
    [​IMG]

or I may mount is below the USB/audio panel where there is already an existing slot :naughty:

2. Make this case as silent as possible at low RPM for working and then high performance/high RPM for Gaming, Im basically going to change all the fans to a matching set and buy this fan controller to go below by Scythe Kama Meter:
    [​IMG]
    The silver knobs on the Kama Meter will changed/painted to match the Zalman fan cotroller.

3. Cooling - I have ordered another EK Multioption res as I am going to build a second watercooling loop. There will be another 240mm Black ICE rad mounted in the front of the case with possibly 2 x 120mm Black ICE rads mounted on the top and rear 120mm exhaust fans.

The first loop with be for the CPU and the second will be for the GPU, I could cool both of these on the same loop but dual loops have the wow factor and when I get a motherboard worth cooling, the chipset, mosfets and possibly ram will be added to the loops.

4. cable management - I will doing the usual trick of hiding all the cables behind the motherboard tray with cutouts in the tray itself for the cables to pass through, this again wont be don't untill I can afford a new motherboard.

5. Lighting - Unlike my previous builds I am staying away from LED fans and UV reactive cables and instead there will be a few UV cathodes which will illuminate the Feser coolant. These will be controlled with some sort of switches. I bought a pair of switches today from a market stall, I probably won't use them on this mod but they were only £1.50 each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They are really well made but are too OTT for this build. I may spray one of them matt black and see how that looks.

Thanks for looking!

9. The boy 4rm oz

Really nice switches, they look very well made. I think they will look much better matte black or gunmetal gray.

10. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

New Res Yo

Just a little update to show you the new res i've bought, The Ek 150 looked a little small so I have replaced it with the 250 model and it looks much better and temps have gone down a whole 1 degree :clap:

[​IMG]
    unclipped the old res ready to empty it

[​IMG]
    Old + new

[​IMG]
    New res fitted

[​IMG]
    All filled up, using 3/4 of a bottle of Feser now ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The old res isn't going to waste.. It will probably be fixed here and used for the second loop.

Thanks for looking :D

11. The boy 4rm oz

Yep, more fluid generally gets you cooler temps. Your right, the old res looked so small in the Stacker lol.

Tags: