1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks laptop recovery deletes partition?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lineage, 20 Feb 2007.

1. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

i just bought a laptop, it only has a 1 drive except the recovery drive. i want to create a partition from c: drive using partition magic. my question is if i use the recovery disc, will it also delete my partition?

thx

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's hard to say without knowing the specific recovery disk. The one I use wouldn't, but I've used others in the past that format the whole drive.

Best advice is to back your data up just to be sure.

3. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

ok, thx

btw, i m using dell 6400 with window vista home premium, any experience with it?

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Just not use the recovery disk. Use a regular XP cd with the key that's attached to your laptop, and install everything where you want it. My both laptops (Acers) had a recovery cd that would repartition, and create a 1 GB big hidden partition at the start of the drive, for "recovery" purposes...

5. Lineage

Lineage What's a Dremel?

the recovery partition in my laptop isnt hidden, its just like a normal partition, i can access it, but dont think i can modify the files

thx for that suggestion

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

If you use the recovery CD... it almost certainly will format any partitions you've created yourself (my recovery CD's certainly do) :wallbash:

But as Glider suggests... if you don't want to lose your new partitions... just use a standard Windows CD if/when you want/need to format the drive next ;)