1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Last details on new rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_1008, 26 Jan 2014.

1. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Time to upgrade after 5-6 years, mostly because of BF4 and I´m almost completely decided.

I´ll be reusing the case, a SAMSUNG 840 Pro 256 and a NOX AT-600P12P wich served me well the last 5 years and I think should be enough for the new rig.

I´m planning to buy it tomorrow, and the decided parts are:
    i5 4670k at first at least, with the stock cooler.
    2x4 GB DDR3 G.Skill Ares 1600 PC-12800 CL8 because of the €/CL relation.

On the other side, I´m still deciding the motherboard between the "cheap" 125€ Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H or spend a little more on the 140€ Asus Gryphon Z87. I don´t really know if it´s worth to spend the extra 15€.

On the graphics card I´m sure I´ll get a GTX 760 but I´m not entirely decided on the manufacturer. Now I´m between this three options:
    229€ MSI Twin Frozr OC
    239€ EVGA SuperClocked
    245€ EVGA SC w/ ACX Cooler

The MSI is the cheapest, the EVGA looks the tidiest cooling solution and the ACX version it´s really beautifull, but it´s gonna live in a closed case so.. I don´t really know what to do.

I´ll be using it mostly for gaming at 1080p, a little photo editing and a little of 2D/3D design, but, since I mostly use Draftsight, OpenSCAD or Skechup, this is not relevant to the machine election.

I apologize because of my rustier than ever english and many thanks in advance!!!

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you are dead set on a 760 then I would either go for the MSI or the evga w acx. While they might not looks as 'pretty' they do have much better cooling and more importantly are a LOT quieter than reference coolers due to the larger fans. I prefer evga personally, because they have much better warranty and customer service if you ever need it.
    For the PSU, since you have had it for some years and the components age and become less efficient and reliable over time I would probably go for a new one with 80plus gold or better. I've also never heard of that brand which always makes me suspect... but that doesn't mean it wasn't oem by some well regarded source, different brands in certain markets and all.
    Can't fault the CPU and ram choices.
    Motherboards look comparable to me... I suppose down to if you have a brand preference/aesthetics.

3. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Down to numbers, the difference in price between my options are a mere 5% of the total so I guess I´ll get the Asus and de EVGA.

For the PSU, I guess Corsair CS650M 650W 80 Plus Gold is going to be enough.

It´s a bit more than I´ve expected but it should last a few years :)

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Regarding the GPU choice, do you need a blower-style card that exhausts hot air out of the case, or can your cooling cope with the air being dumped in to the case? The ACX cooler is of the latter type, and the standard SC card is blower.