1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd love to have the repeating feature as I lose WiFi if I go upstairs. Might have to pick a few of these up.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Youll need a master and slave if you do

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's our motto at the S&M club funnily enough.

Guest-23315 and MLyons like this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Just purchased a course on udemy to learn Angular. Being "money conscious" I'd normally go the free route but the other devs have told me they are using it and it's been a great help so we may aswell all use the same resource. Although none of you are likely to see any of the work it produces...

Byron C likes this.
  5. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Had been on the lookout for a black Olympus OM-2n camera for a while (because OM-2's are great and because worn black-paint-on-brass cameras look awesome), and this suddenly fell in my lap:
    [​IMG]
    - Olympus OM-2n, the gorgeous black paint version
    - Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 - To my knowledge the smallest full frame SLR f/1.2 lens in existence, it has a 49mm filter thread (!!!).
    - Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/2 - also rare-ish, fast for its time. Has a floating element to improve close focus performance, pretty cool. By coincidence I already got the case and lens hood made for this lens 2 months ago in another lot.
    - Olympus Zuiko 135mm f/2.8
    - Olympus T32 flash, leatherette camera case, etc.
    After some speedy negotiating immediately when I saw the ad, it was basically a 180€ gamble. The pictures weren't great and there was no detail whatsoever about the condition, so I was mentally prepared for the worst.
    What I most certainly did not expect however was for everything to arrive in immaculate condition. This was a very expensive kit when new and someone really took care of it. I'm so relieved: no internal haze and fungus to clean like usual, no shutters to fix, nothing! An absolute bargain.
    The 50mm f/1.2 is also the fastest lens I've owned so far. Really excited to use it with film later this week.

Also got this little fellow from the Amanita store when it was on sale:
    [​IMG]
    The adorable little gnome from Samorost.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2018
    Arboreal and LennyRhys like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

What's the course?

7. MLyons

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

CABLES!

[​IMG]

An a Santa Drone

[​IMG]

LennyRhys and MLyons like this.
  9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Rockshox Monarch Plus R brand new for an absolute steal @ £179 from Merlin Cycles

[​IMG]

Took a risk ordering the Airdrop Frame sans shock on the chance I could get a good deal, this was pretty much bang on. Means a combined frame and shock price of £978. Swish!

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I bought and paid for these last week.

[​IMG]

That only leaves the cranks and pedals now. God, I can't wait for warmer weather. If I went out today I would get blown out to sea it's just crazy out there :(

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Ticket for Black Panther in IMAX 3D, starting in an hour...

fix-the-spade and MLyons like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ta :thumb:. If you've started it yet, how would you rate it so far? I have very little familiarity with JavaScript, but I do want to learn. An Angular course probably isn't the best place to start, but I daresay I could pick it up easily enough; for £12 it's got to be worth a punt.

13. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Ooh good choice legoman, I love Knukonceptz's stuff.

legoman likes this.
  14. MLyons

Start with this instead https://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Design-HTML-JavaScript-jQuery/dp/1118907442. You can also find them online for free if you want. I went through both of those when i joined. Unfortunately I haven't started it as i had to fix an issue today that took up my time.

Byron C likes this.
  15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

In what has been a more complex undertaking than I expected... lego.

[​IMG]

I'm going to build this MOC - https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-10...s-vertical-stand-for-millennium-falcon-75192/

Having never bought pieces in bulk before (i.e. just replacements), I was surprised at how simple it all was, or should have been.

Theory:
    - Insta-buy all parts directly from the MOC page
    - Profit

Practice:
    - Decide to buy from multiple suppliers, since there are only a couple with everything in stock and there's a significant premium to get from one supplier
    - Manually chop and change suppliers in an attempt to minimise both postage and per-part cost
    - Screw up chopping and changing and somehow leave one part entirely out, buy too few of another, and too many of another again
    - Don't realise the above until two weeks later when all orders have turned up
    - Receive one order with too few of another part, get a partial refund since its 2 weeks for them to ship
    - Take stock of everything I have against the required parts, go buy the rest, and end up spending as much as getting them all from one supplier to begin with, ans significantly more than getting them from one supplier right now.

LennyRhys, Pliqu3011 and Byron C like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's funny, that's the same general approach I take...

17. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Just ordered a new pair of trekking trousers. I love Fjallraven's kit, it's G1000 fabric is tough as old boots and works well in outdoor kit. Their kit is pretty expensive but it lasts a lot longer than the cheaper stuff. The trousers I've ordered are the Keb trousers. Plenty of pockets, a decent cut for outdoor activity and tough materials. Jobs a good un! :)

[​IMG]

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks for the recommendation :thumb:

I've just taken a look through the sample videos from the Udemy course and I reckon I can get stuck straight in... so I've just paid for it :grin:. This seems like absolutely the right place to start: we're using Angular for the UI in the project I'm working on at the moment, so it's got immediate real-world utility. My role on the project is primarily a data/data model developer, although I do some back-end stuff here and there, but I want to branch out into web development.

That's one of the things I often find with training and courses: if you're not going to use this stuff in anger fairly soon then it'll all go out the window very quickly. I did a week-long ASP.NET web development about 6 years ago and it's all totally gone; I did a 3-day SAS course 2-3 years ago, and all I can remember about it is "SAS can parse ANSI SQL, so if you're forced to use SAS then just write SQL code and use SAS' SQL module". I'm even forgetting common tricks and techniques in T-SQL that I used to use all the time, purely because I'm not using it every day (even though I was employed 6 months ago as a SQL Server developer/DBA!)

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Particle Mesh dev boards
    : one of the Argon boards and three of the Xenon boards. They're basic microcontrollers, but with Bluetooth Low Energy and mesh networking capabilities - meaning I can have the three Xenon boards busily doing stuff and communicating to the network via the Wi-Fi equipped Argon. I can then add any more Xenons I want, and everything will talk to everything else all clever-routing-stylee.

Excite!

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Won an eBay auction for a brand new set of Easton Heist 27 wheels... For £150! Absolute result, considerably more suited to a 150mm travel AM/Enduro rig than the Crossride's I ordered last month, so they'll be going back ASAP.

[​IMG]