1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics LEDs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by benji2412, 22 Nov 2010.

1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Hi,

I'm looking to change the LEDs in my fans from blue to red, they're decent fans and it's cheaper than buying new fans. Plus it's a chance to get hands on for a bit.

I have a 3.16 V going to the current blue LED and I obviously know that 3-5mm red LEDs use a smaller 2.0 V. My question is, how do I calculate what resistor to use? I know there are calculators around but I'd like to do the math myself and have it explained.

Reason is I've just joined an Electrical and Electronic Engineering reseach group as a chemist and I think this would be a good way to pick up the basics hands on, as I've done nothing but read about it recently.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

Good old V= IR

that is

Voltage = Current x Resistance.

You need the circuit to drop an extra 1v at 20mA (LEDs are generally 20mA for ultra bright types)

1v = 0.020A x ?

Your fan is probably already resistored up for the more or less a 9v drop from the 12v supply so you are just adding a little extra resistance to it. Wire the resistor to the anode of the new LED and it'll create a series resistor effect.

If you are running the fans at lower than 12v then you might want to consider wiring the new LEDs to a permanent 12v source.

Here's a couple of guides I made a while back.

Colour swap.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18172549

A More in depth mod with more than 4 LEDs that uses a 12v source rather than fed from the fan input voltage. Result in my Avatar.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18172810

Last edited: 22 Nov 2010
    benji2412 and mvagusta like this.
  3. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Thanks for that, was really useful! I was right then needing a 50 Ohm resistor. Just wanted to make sure first, that 12 LED fan looks pretty sweet! I might have a play around with something similar. You'll get the credit too, oh and some rep too! :)