1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lian Li announces budget mini-ITX PC-Q01 chassis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

A cheap, dinky aluminum case? Would love to see what the modders come up with.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Lets see if we can find some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That should clear up a few questions. I would highly recommend using a SFF PSU that is modular.

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Thats really nice. When I upgrade....

5. trintragular

trintragular What's a Dremel?

Looks very good with a reasonable price.

I can see cable management being a bit of a challenge but I guess that comes with the mini territory.

Any chance of a review? :D

6. trintragular

trintragular What's a Dremel?

More Images

Thanks for the additional images, MSHunter.

I think I may be in love!

There are two links to some early reviews (well...one is more of a forum post) on http://www.lian-li.com/en/pc-q01-review/

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-879181-1-1.html
    http://www.pceva.com.cn/article-1553-1.html

They're both in Chinese but the pictures are quite good.

I can't decide whether I prefer the blank or silver version.

A review of this case would be greatly appreciated. I suspect that the airflow won't be fantastic, though.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

On the chiphell site the guy is fitting a 1000W psu inside it, but it would just fit without the modulair cables inserted.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Nice looking little box and the price isn't too bad considering, but I expect it to be a complete dog cooling-wise.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

When will they learn to use SFX PSUs for ITX builds. You don't need anything more powerful than 450W anyway!

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Even TFX would be better than ATX!

11. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Looks like you maybe able to fit 4 slot GPU cooler in there! I'd want to add some ventilation to the roof mind you.

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I have a similar case, same size, aluminum, same looks but ports and button are on top, but from unknown manufacturer (could be a Lian Li factory second or something?) as it was a white box item. Anyway I got it to stuff some bits I wasn't using inside to make a little nix box. I have an atom 330 ion board with 4GB ram and a CX430 psu. I also had a quadro FX1800 shoehorned inside as it only just barely fit lengthwise. Even with that meager hardware it gets quite toasty as there is only minimal ventilation and the psu fan is wholly responsible for removing heat from inside. The non modular psu is a less than ideal for certain as I had to jam all those extra cables up inbetween the psu and the case front. A modular psu with super short custom cables would be much more ideal. I have an old 32GB ssd in, and I found the drive mounts less than ideal. With the particular PSU I found that it wasn't possible to plug the power cord into the drive with it directly against the bottom and had to modify the plug changing the 90 degree to the opposite direction so I didn't have to try forcing to bend the cable against the case bottom to wedge it in place.
    It was fairly cheap, and it does look nice on the outside but it certainly has a lot of limitations. For anything but a basic browsing/office type pc or maybe htpc I would definitely look elsewhere. I can't imagine putting high end hardware inside it for a mini gaming pc as I'm sure it would overheat. It's really too bad they didn't make accommodation for a 120mm intake in the front. I think that would have been far far more beneficial than the drive mounts.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Tidy little chassis - Fit an intake in the floor and a blow hole in the roof and it'll cope admirably.