1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MNC Fear, 4 Mar 2010.

1. MNC Fear

MNC Fear Banned

Lads I have a bit of a dilemna

I have recently started a overhaul of my machines

I had a Phenom for gaming and a WHS for storing and serving my home but....

since upgrading to a Phenom II I now have 3 machines-
    PhenomII, Phenom(Mobo Takes Upto PhenomII) and my WHS Sempron(Mobo Takes upto 6000+)

Ive thought about a few scenarios

I could use the Phenom as a Virtual machine and just mess around with different OS's- but I would need to upgrade the RAM quite a bit as when I got the Phenom II I downgraded to 2 gig

I could also get rid of the Sempron and make the Phenom my Home Server which may even be a bit overkill as WHS runs most things really

I could also get rid of the Phenom and get a nicer case for my server as its in a total mincer cheapie

I guess this is pretty much aimed at guys who have a few machines or those who chose against it

If I keep the phenom I dont know whether it would be underutilised and as I would want to connect to it directly- unless I can do it on a lappy as my Main Rig is quite a noisy beast

This said Im also in a cupboard under the stairs like Harry Potter so things can be much louder due to this

I dont even know if this is in the correct place but the hardware forums are lively and I suppose it whether I should keep the hardware

Thanks for looking guys

2. MNC Fear

MNC Fear Banned

no one ?

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Break up the Phenom rig, and sell the parts. Upgrade the drives in the Sempron server, and start using it as a back up server as well as media server.

That's what I'd do.

4. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

As the server is the pc running most, if not all, of the time, makes sense for it to be the one that consumes the most power. Question: do you want/plan to keep all 3, or sell one? I'd keep the Sempron for the server, and make the best pc from the other 2. Dual boot it so you have your regular use pc on one partition, and second partition for playing about. If you don't want to do that, use the Phenom II for main pc, and Phenom rig for a VM machine. Another 2Gb of DDR2 800 wont break the bank, you could get it from Ebay even?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Huh?

You mean the LEAST power, right?

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

Oooops, sorry. Yes. Least power. Was late when I wrote that. :(