1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintenace of case fans/dust filters

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NickElliott, 7 Aug 2008.

1. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

I've got a 6+ year-old Lian-Li case which houses my PC, I'm about to replace the old motherboard and I'm wondering if this would be a good time to do some maintenance on it:

- what is the likely life expectancy of the fans which were supplied with the case, should I replace them, if not any advice on cleaning etc?
    - should I replace the dust filter and if so any recommendations?

Generally I don't go out of my way to clean inside the case except when I happen to open it, do any of you regularly clean inside cases and if so what sort of things do you do and products do you use?

Thanks

Nick

2. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

if the fans are silent and smooth, then they should be good for a little while longer. clean the blades with a damp cloth.

Also, definately clean the air filters, use soapy water for them but make sure they are dry when you reinstall them.

The case is over 6 years old you say? would it be up to modern standards? i would think the cooling wouldn't be that effective anymore and the fans would be too small/loud?

3. NickElliott

Thanks for the tips.

Fortunately the case is an excellent bit of kit, a Lian-Li PC-60, it's an aluminium midi-tower and has very good cooling with a couple of intake fans on the front and an exhaust fan on the rear - it stays cool!

4. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

i regularly clean out the fans/filters in my Lian Li case, (only two months old) last time i did it, i noticed a 10degree reduction in GPU temperature.

Good old spray around with SprayDuster sorted it, and it only took a minute or two. God bless thumbscrews.

5. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

After about 6 months I cleaned out my filters and noticed the same, it really makes a difference. MY advice clean out fans and filter on a regular occassions.

Regards
    GiGo

6. NickElliott

This seems good advice based on what djDEATH and Gigo have to report; clean filters and fans on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback.