1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Mesh Network Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seb.F, 15 Dec 2020.

1. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Hi all

Currently have an Orbi mesh but have had nothing but issues (one or another) since I set it up. Have had talks with Netgear and advice from community, messed with all settings, used only ethernet backhaul but still I get device drops/wireless signal but no internet/no ability to connect at all. Currently had to drop down to just using the base unit and a satellite without beamforming or daisy chain turned on.

I am looking for a good replacement that must have ethernet backhaul (as my study where my main PC is sits behind a metal lined wall where wifi cannot penetrate, but I have ethernet running there from the main fibre point).

I was initially looking at the Asus XT8 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenWiFi-Whole-Home-XT8-Life-Time/dp/B083QS8ZFQ) setup and purchasing a third satellite if I find I need it.

Are there any other recommendations? Only real requirements are the ethernet backhaul and being decent speedwise as we have a 1gbit fibre line.

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

All the TP-Link Deco models can be used with an ethernet backhaul, and you can mix & match different units so if you have areas in the house that don't need to max out your connection speed you can stick a slower, cheaper node there. Cheaper ones only have a single ethernet port that ethernet backhaul will use up, the faster wifi ones have two.

I can't comment on the speed of the faster ones though (X60, X20) as I'm running M4s, but they've been rock solid since day 1 and using wifi backhaul are more than enough for my adsl connection.

3. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Just looking at the X60 now yes, seems a decent price, £410 for a 3 pack, whereas the Asus is the same price but for only a 2. I'd need an extra ethernet port in the study to plug a switch in so would have to get the more expensive one but that's not an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's given me food for thought.