1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning MicroATX mobo hole layout question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sixfootsideburns, 4 May 2012.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Alright... so I know there is a layout guide on FormFactor.org but there is a bit that I'm a little confused on. The diagram shows the mobo as being 9.6" x 9.6", and I have a GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 that measures 9.6" x 9.21"

So with that said... if your looking at the diagram on FormFactor.org, the bottom row of holes doesn't exist on my mobo. However there IS an extra hole that doesn't show up at all on the diagram that is just below the 4th RAM slot (you can see it on the Newegg page.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find measurements for that hole location? Or do you guys think that I can just leave it out of my mobo tray and not use a standoff for that location?

I appreciate the input and thanks in advance!

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I don't get your question. That Gigabyte board has the F, J, C, H, B and R holes according to the chart on the page 10 of that document. There is one extra hole bellow the middle one, but that is all. Sure, you are missing the bottom row, but does that matter ? Your board is simply shorter. Leave that one hole without a standoff.

3. sixfootsideburns

exactly, but wholes M, L, and S are missing and there is an extra that is just below H. I'm just curious if anyone knows where I can find measurements for the hole location?

Or if people think I'm OK to just leave it out and not use a standoff for that hole? My worry would be that without it there is a decent size section of the mobo that is totally unsupported and it happens to be where the SATA connections are (which means I will be applying force to that part of the mobo over time). I'm definitely something of a wimp when it comes to abusing electronics, but I just wanted peoples opinions

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, in most cases you wouldn't have that one supported anyway. SATA won't bother that, your biggest board bending will be durring the installation of RAM modules and/or 24-pin power connector.

5. sixfootsideburns

alright, I appreciate the info mate! I'm going to go ahead and just leave it out seeing as I install the RAM before I put the mobo in anyways and hopefully I wont be needing to change it any time soon.

Thanks a bunch!