1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Vista SP1 RTM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

If everything necessary from my current install of XP Pro will work on vista, not limited to software, then this may be the time to update for me.

We'll see how it goes.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

So, once installing SP1, I'll get the other half of my christmas presents.. or something? Because I'm sure there's stuff ordered online that still hasn't come yet.

Just reading through and noticed this one:

Aye, just a bit frustrating. My mrs forgot the password to her laptop and although their is a bootable cd out there to reset the password, I couldn't get the darn thing to work. So in the end it would have needed a format! Thankfully, after a few hours looking at things at home, something triggered and she remembered it.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2008
  4. Tim S

Tim S OG

:D

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Maybe this will get me to install that copy of Vista Ultimate that has been sitting on my desk for a year. I got it for free in a CPU/mobo combo and never touched it.

I think I'll wait till I get a 3870 though. My 6800 128MB is showing it's age.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

I'm wondering how long it'll take the "naughty people" to implement a new system to bypass activation now that the old methods (should) no longer work. :) I love a good game of cat and mouse I do.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

And i was told it would be out today, they were wrong.

Sam

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

My only hardware that doesn't work well under Vista is the TV card. A Hauppauge Vista driver is installed but all the PVR software I've tried with the card (Hauppage's own, Media Portal, Showshifter, so far) seems flaky (or in some cases, more flaky than usual) and Vista Media Center can't even see it. :(

On software the only problem program was my oldish Starry Night 5 - the site suggests installing as admin, which produced a working program from my original 5.0.0 CDs, but after adding the 5.8.2 update it crashes on opening. :(

The change with Vista is comparable to the change when Bit-Tech changed the forum system; an initial deep shock followed by a long period of trauma with occasional screaming fits. They say you'll get better. (They're lying.) :brrr:

9. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Bah humbug! Please stop teasing us, Microsoft, with updates for your new OSs, when we're still waiting for the final version of XP SP3!

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Why do they have to release top manufacturing somthing that's going to be distributed almost exclusively online? I mean, sure, a couple of people will need physical media, but why hold things up another month for them???

This is part of why I switched to linux. Someone needs to sit MS down and explain tha this is MY computer, I decided what goes on it, what gets updated etc, NOT YOU! This kind of paternalistic BS really gets to me. </RANT>

They both create new headaches without adding any new functionality? It still sucks, but unlike with MS going to vista, it hasn't pissed me off enough yet to switch.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2008
  11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

question for people who have been using sp1 rc1/2: how much of an improvement is there in file copy? is it anywhere close to xp's performance?

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

damn, bought a 2GB memory stick, went to university, and tryed to find a link for the download today, why not today :(

any news of Vista SP1 integrated DVD being available soon? i prefer a clean re-install when i next do it, so hope they will make one available on MSDN e-academy soon

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Not available to download until March? Why?

Well, at least I don't need SP1, Vista x64 works fine here. :)

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

no PT version then....

15. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

Been using the beta for awhile now, its pretty easy to obtain if your like me and can't wait. So far nice and stable. The only problem I had was with audio lag with network activity. Don't know if my tinkering or the service pack fixed it now though.

16. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You probably weren't affected when an Office 2000 patch and a few other updates caused a great deal of annoyance to a few users and many people used to leave off installing patches until the more fool-hardy had had chance to "test" them in service. MS have been more cautious since.

The decision on "what goes on it, what gets updated etc" is still 100% yours - it's very simple to turn off auto-update and get the patches you feel you need manually; you've four choices, only one of which is automatic install.

The fact that people don't like waiting while other people get served is just our childishness, so stop being a brat. ;)

17. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

Hmmmmm

I wonderz?
    Will it be a crack killer??

Just curious about all those people with the illegal versions out there. :eyebrow:

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Anything that improves the speed, accessibility and reliability of Vista is a good thing. I've been contemplating getting it for a while now, if it works OK there's absolutely no reason not to. At the moment there are still enough kinks in it to warrent waiting, but after the service pack, why not? It's not like I use any far out software that might not work correctly with it.

19. quack

quack Minimodder

Well it is out today, just not to the public. ;)

What would you rather... a) Have SP1 downloaded to your machine then the update operation fails everytime because you have a dodgy driver that is known to cause issues... or b) Have Automatic Updates keep SP1 hidden until the driver is updated first. If you really want to install SP1, by downloading it from the Download Center and running it manually then that is up to you - no one's stopping you. I know which I'd rather have if I were a "home user" who didn't know any better. Your rant is totally unwarranted.

This article by Mark Russinovitch might be of some interest to you.

AFAIK SP1 invalidates all (well) known crack and workarounds for Vista RTM.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well said - it's a damn good idea for them to stagger it out for people they think it won't work for, especially given the fact that you can force the update by simply downloading it. Bloody good idea tbh.

Tags: Add Tags