1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I wish it came with blue backlighting.. all my hardware is black with blue lights, so having a keyboard with red lights would look odd >.>

3. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

Certain improvements from my X6..but I loved the removable numpads..

4. sircod

sircod What's a Dremel?

In the review you noted that the backspace and enter keys use the standard layout, but in your pictures it shows otherwise. Pictures on other sites show the standard layout, so are your pictures slightly out of date or something? (Also the third picture link is broken)

It does look like a nice keyboard. Reminds me of my Logitech Illuminated, which I love, but a bit more gaming oriented with the macro keys.

Edit: Apparently thats the standard UK layout. Other pics I saw were of the US layout.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2010
  5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

the way i see it, this is a absolutely normal layout...? and the link is broken indeed.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I've been unable to fix the missing photo, so I've added a new one in instead.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Looks like a nice keyboard. I agree with the comment regarding the red back lights, I too would have preferred blue, still it does look good.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

sadly the best gaming keyboard with a blue backlight - the Saitek Eclipse 2 isn;t made anymore :( I guess we'll have to stick with orange (g15/g11) or red.

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I loved my Saitek Eclipse 1, it was a fantastic keyboard. I'm using a Razer Lycosa now, blue back lights yes but I'm not that impressed with it TBH.

10. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I had an Eclipse 1 until it died a death. It survived orange juice then one day water got on it and nothing brought it back from that. Now I'm using a Z-board >.< but at least it's easy to clean..

Shame about the Eclipse 2 I was always planning on getting one of those when I had a bit of spare cash.

11. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

still loved my old ergo, cant they start doing them again?

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

My beloved Eclipse II is still alive and kicking. I dunno what I'd do without it.

Had a close call once when my space bar broke. The plastic clip that holds the metal bar snapped off. One delicate super-glue operation later, and it was perfect again. Been over a year since that happened and it still works beautifully.

This X4 actually looks pretty sweet but I'll be sticking with my keyboard until it falls apart.

13. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

I've got an X6 here - yes, you're right about some of the overly-specced buttons, and if I had to buy a new keyboard, I'd properly go for a X4. Before, I've had a G15/G11, both massive, expensive, and both with an LCD screen which I never used.

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I currently have an X6, but loved the Saitek Eclipse I & II. The Eclipse I was probably the best of the lot.

My main problem with them is keyboard wear, i tend to use the cursor keys for movement and every keyboard i've had the top layer of plastic covering the keys has worn off so on back lit keys you just see a red/blue light. More durable keys please!

15. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

yes, same here, my pc is a glowing beakon of blue l.e.d.s and uv blue liquid! :D

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Desolder the red leds and solder your own blue ones?

17. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

I was very fond of my Saitek Ecplipse II, until keys started breaking off... I'm not a rough gamer, and I certainly never abused it but my keys started to break off one after the other nonetheless...

I'm now using a Logitech G11, which is great except I make NO use of the macro keys.

This certainly looks like a good keyboard but as I found with the Eclipse I find red doesn't stand out very well.

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Don't get me wrong I like my G11, but the keys aren't the best on it - I'd much prefer lower profile keys (such as on the Logitech Edge, which is a lovely keyboard to type on, just wish it had the backlit keys).

19. Toka

Toka Minimodder

aww, think ill stick with my enermax for the super speedy (laptop style) key action, but i do wish it had a couple more media buttons. Still, at least its dishwasher safe.....

20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

How quiet are the keys of this keyboard? I've been wanting to get a new keyboard that is not too big but still has some media keys and backlighting but I dont like loud keys. I can't stand it.

I've been looking at getting the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, but if this has very quiet keys I might get it instead.

Tags: Add Tags