1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor cleans up at DICE awards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

I actually really enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, I watched all the Hobbit Movies, and LOTR Trilogy straight after completing it.

Lets hope a sequel is in the works and is twice as good.

3. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I really enjoyed SoM too, and have sunk many hours into it. But, 'Outstanding achievement in story'...really? I don't think so. The story is skeleton-like compared to the mechanics and actual content of the game. If you play this game for any more than a couple hours you completely forget the story and why anything is really happening. I don't think it's bad it's just not in any way an outstanding achievement.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I think part of it is how playing it dynamically creates its story, but yeah once that was over I was disappointed by the ending.

5. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

That's not what "emergent mechanics" means... Don't let this become another ******** buzzword people use and destroy, it actually means something.

6. SimoomiZ

SimoomiZ What's a Dremel?

Yep, the story was so-so. They're obviously praising the Nemesis system, which was innovative in the way the names & strengths/weaknesses are randomly generated giving each player a different experience. Similar systems will probably grace many more upcoming titles.

As for the gameplay : could have really done with difficulty settings, maybe allow some Orcs/Uruks similar climbing abilities to those of Talion? Too easy to simply climb out of sight.

And one complaint would be how The Tower and Black Hand 'fights' were pretty anticlimactic; after the build up and that Hammer fight.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2015
  7. Deders

Deders Modder

nm

Last edited: 9 Feb 2015
  8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've not quite gotten into this one, it's an okay game but nothing particularly jumps out for me and draws me in to keep playing. To me it feels a little bit too much like it's trying to be Assassin's Creed in Mordor, however it has kind of gone backwards in the gameplay of AC which to me made it feel a bit bored whilst playing.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty decent game and the mechanics are done well with an okay story in parts... but it wasn't done in anyway that made me think "Wow that was awesome, I want to go through and do that again."
    To me it had a much more dreary feeling of "okay he's dead, on to the next one."

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What does this even mean? Seriously, could someone please translate this from marketing BS into English for me, as I have literally no idea what it means. :D

As for SoM, it's a much better game than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it, despite the save-game deleting bug that cost me my first twenty hours of play time. Unfortunately, the bug really did spoil my enjoyment to a large extent because having clocked up enough hours pre-wipe to become competent, when I started again from the beginning it was just too easy. The whole point of the Nemesis system is that you need to get killed a bit in order to get the most out of it, but I only died a handful of times after the restart.

It's a real shame, because my first playthrough before losing my save was fantastic - I'd had my head kicked in by a few Uruks, and there was one guy in particular that I just couldn't beat. I never got to take revenge on him :( After being forced to restart, I just didn't find any of the Uruks tough enough to build up that personal emnity which is half the fun of the entire game. If only there had been a difficulty setting.

10. suenstar

I may be completely wrong but I would take a wild guess at it meaning an award for Apple's rapid increase in their position within the mobile gaming market. The disruption I assume being to the sales performance of more dedicated mobile gaming devices like the Vita and DS, caused by the masses of indie developers choosing to publish their games to the App Store.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

OK, that sounds plausible :D

Have Apple really seen a big increase in their share of the mobile gaming market? I thought that iOS has always been really popular with developers, so what's changed? Is it that other platforms are seeing a drop in market share, or are Apple actually doing something special to increase their share? I assume it must be the latter if Apple are being given an award, but to be honest I have no idea.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Apple has around 14% -15% market share with IOS ( depending on who you read). 47% USA and low 30% Across most of europe. China it was sub 20%. Its got more market share than PS vita and Nintendos 3ds combined id guess. So guess its doing well in mobile.

No clue what that award is for though.

13. suenstar

Hopefully Gareth or one of the other article writer's can confirm if that guess on the meaning of the phrase about Apples award for disruption is right... or give us the actual meaning. :)

I always thought they had a fairly solid share of the market, but this article on Forbes mentions a 70% increase in revenue from games on the App Store between 2013-2014... so it would seem that they're on an even steeper rise than previous years.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/09/09/what-the-iphone-6-means-for-mobile-gaming/

I guess phones are just getting so powerful with processing power and high quality screens these days that they're almost making the dedicated mobile gaming platforms redundant.

Some journalists are also estimating that mobile games revenue could potentially overtake consoles during 2015, so it seems that mobile games have been on a bit of a mass takeover of the market for the last couple of years.