1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mini-ITX Z77 motherboard previews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Guunkushnaka

Guunkushnaka What's a Dremel?

Finally ASUS jumps on the bandwagon and gives us a supposedly good offering...Until it gets a full review ofcourse. Definitely thinking about moving to Mini-ITX with my next build, I like Dynamite in small packages...Obviously WC Cheesecake!!!

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm a fan of the little mentioned fact that all three have onboard wireless capabilities. This was one thing which I felt was ignored in previous mITX reviews yet is something many SFF builds will be looking for. Obviously these manufacturers agree that wireless is worth adding!

3. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

is bit tech waiting for the release of ivy to review the new mobos?
    i've been eyeing a few of them but waiting for the bit tech seal of approval!

4. leslie

leslie Just me!

Key rollover in games.
    USB allows very few simultaneous key presses, PS2 allows far more.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

6 (USB) vs no-limit, typically 12 (PS/2), but only if your keyboard is capable of it. Majority of keyboards can only handle 4-5 keys pressed at same time anyway, so that limitation is not important.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's certainly nifty but I agree it's likely not the driving factor. I'd say the legacy aspect is more important, remove it and people will complain that they can't use their favorite keyboard. Going the other way not many people are going to be complaining "If only I had two more USB ports rather than that ancient PS2!". Two more USB ports, another Ethernet port, there's a couple different things you could fit in the same space but none are going to draw as many complaints for not having them as PS2.

7. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Although, looking at the Asus board, it does make me want to create a water cooled server. i mean it is small, and I can have multiple boards connected a full thickness 480mm rad or something like that. Or if I am too lazy a Corsair H70/80 may well be all I need.

Overall, it would definitely be more compact than a similarly specced M-ATX or ATX based server.

8. leslie

leslie Just me!

6 on USB is the current limit on USB, and only if they do it specifically (which is then considered a special feature). It is usually only the wasd keys that are setup to have more than 2 or 3. I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I got one that didn't have that limitation. It wasn't frequent, but I did hit it on occasion.

At any rate, that is why the ps2 connector is still there.

9. dillingerdan

dillingerdan What's a Dremel?

10. KithKhan

KithKhan A dremel is all you need.

I love this form factor! You can do so many cool projects with a compact unit like this. One fun thing is to get a PCIe flexible or angled adapter so the GPU can lie parallel to the MOBO, and with a dual-chip card with inherent SLI like a GTX 590 or its newer relatives, there's not much this thing can't handle.

11. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

do i want a z77 mITX board?

oh yes!

in a fortress 3 mini case.............. with a 3.2GHz quad i5 and a 7870.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I'd love to read more about the functionality of that daughterboard! If/when you guys test it, please try overclocking with and without the thing, i'm really interested to see the difference it makes.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You cannot remove it, it's soldered in place. It is 'the' VRMs - there is nothing on the main PCB.

14. Crezzlin

Crezzlin What's a Dremel?

Can anyone tell me if any of the 3 board will run 2560x1600 from the DVI? thanks

15. richms

richms What's a Dremel?

Im a little disappointed that the wifi antenna ports are external. If I am making a custom PC I would want them inside the case. Would be better if they were on a bracket or something and there was standard minipci connectors in the case.

16. faugusztin

The WiFi module is AFAIK in miniPCIe, but only half-size (30×26.8) fits due the internal USB connectors:
    [​IMG]

And putting them on PCI bracket ? For a mITX board ? Where most cases have max 2 PCI slots ? Not going to happen.

Seriously ? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77I_DELUXE/#specifications

Last edited: 6 May 2012
  17. faugusztin

Here we go - i finally received my P8Z77-I Deluxe + Noctua NH-L12 + GSkill Ares 2x8GB.

Installing the NH-L12 base :
    [​IMG]

I had to use the alternative system (no backplate), because backplate collided with few resistors and one VRM or whatever it is there on the back :
    [​IMG]
    Heatsink installed :
    [​IMG]

Let's add the fans and RAM :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Durring the whole process, there were only minor issues :
    1) i had to use the alternative system instead of the backplate, as few small components on back were blocking the backplate
    2) it was "fun" to install the bottom fan on the VRM module side, as i had to put the fan there without the mount system, put the mount system on the heatsink and then fight the fan to the mount system.
    3) the 9.2cm fan had to be pushed towards back as much as possible due to the conflict with the first RAM slot - but in the end, it was possible to have both fans and both RAM modules :
    [​IMG]

Guest-16 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags